Roommates

Roommates

Ivy awoke the next morning with a warmth pressing against her chest. She blinked slowly, welcoming the sunshine that flooded through her undraped window, before looking down at the figure beside her. She immediately recognized the mess of blonde hair- because she hadn't taken her pigtails out before she went to bed- that was buried in her neck. Slender arms were wrapped tightly around her waist, preventing any movement without waking Harley as she went.

Ivy sighed softly. This was a familiar situation. Harley was a hardcore cuddler, especially when asleep. She held on tight like you were the teddy bear of life and she was afraid to let go.

The redhead ran a hand through her tangled curls as she rolled onto her back, taking Harley with her. The blonde was cuddled into her left side, using Ivy's ample chest as a pillow and securing her arms around her pale waist. Ivy's left arm rested around Harley, her hand on the blonde's shoulder, while her right arm was folded up by her head.

She didn't mind a few extra minutes in bed or the body heat beside her. When Harley was living with Joker, before they got caught, they got into a lot of fights, usually when Mistah J lost to the Bat. Harley would come running to Ivy, who would let her vent about the horrible things that Mistah J said and tell her that they would defeat Batman next time. She would make the blonde a cup of tea and let her spend the night, and she learned early on that if Harley didn't cuddle, she didn't sleep.

They had been best friends for a long time, but after a while, Ivy's heart began yearning for more. The more she heard about Harley and Joker's fights, the more she wanted to kick Mistah J in the teeth and ask Harley to permanently move in. She would be much better for her than he would, she was sure, but she knew Harley was loyal to her psychotic clown boyfriend.

Hell, she probably still was.

The redhead let out another sigh and attempted to sit up. Mother Nature was calling her bladder and her stomach was rumbling for sustenance.

As soon as she began moving, a groan left Harley's lips and she tightened her arms.

"Red, why are you moving?" she whimpered.

"I have to get up," Ivy replied, fighting against the blonde's tired hold.

"No," Harley pouted.

The redhead chuckled softly. "Come on. I'll make you breakfast."

The blonde's eyes opened to look up at Ivy. "Breakfast?"

She nodded, gesturing to the arms around her waist. "But you have to let go."

Harley slowly let go and sat up, following Ivy out of bed.

The redhead slid out of bed and headed over to her dresser. She rummaged through her pajama drawer, pulling out a green tank top and black shorts. She also pulled out a black tank and red pants and tossed them to Harley, knowing all she had for clothing was the ugly orange jumpsuit she had been stuck wearing in prison.

"Thanks," Harley yawned, pulling on the clothes and following Ivy to the kitchen.

"So how's freedom treating you?" Harley asked, hopping up to sit on the marble countertop.

Ivy filled a kettle with water and set it on the stove. She shrugged before reaching for the mugs in the cupboard. "Still have to be careful when I go out. I'm not a criminal anymore but Batsy has a lot more followers than I do."

"What do you mean?" the blonde inquired.

"People are happy to go running to the authorities when they see me walking around," the redhead explained, filling a mug with water and dropping in a teabag before handing it to her.

Harley took it with a nod. "We could save the world and people will still call us bad guys."

"You're gonna have to be extra careful going out," Ivy pointed out. "You're more recognizable, especially when Gotham learns that you broke out."

"Or that you broke me out," the blonde smirked.

The redhead chuckled. "That too. Hey, I was thinking we could go shopping today."

Her eyes lit up. "Shopping?"

Ivy nodded. "I know you don't have any of your clothes anymore. Besides, a fresh start would be good for you. Why not start with clothes?"

She nodded eagerly. "I love new clothes!"

"So, breakfast and then shopping?" Ivy suggested, pulling out a frying pan and setting it on the stove. She turned to see Harley beaming brightly and she giggled, taking a couple of potatoes from a pile on the counter. She liked to grow as much of her own food as she could, so she had baskets of potatoes, strawberries, several vegetables, and a wide array of spices.

"Get me an onion from the fridge," the redhead requested as she diced the potatoes and threw them in the pan.

Harley nodded and began rummaging through the fridge, fumbling with figuring out which drawer contained the onion Ivy wanted. She finally found it and let out a triumphant "Ha!" before closing the door and handing the plant to the redhead.

Ivy thanked her and chopped the onion, placing all of the pieces in the pan with the potatoes. She added some of her homegrown spices for flavor and fried them up, making sure nothing burned.

Harley sighed heavily as she got out plates when Ivy was done cooking. She couldn't remember the last time she had a proper home cooked meal.

The redhead poured the potatoes onto the plates and handed one to the blonde. Harley kissed her cheek and took her plate, grabbing a fork and digging in. She let out a yelp when she realized that the food had just been cooked and was still steaming with heat, instantly burning the inside of her mouth.

Ivy chuckled as she slowly ate hers, watching as Harley tried to fan herself. She offered her a cup of water, watching her down it before giving breakfast a second attempt.

The redhead chuckled at her blonde companion. She was going to enjoy having her around.