"Why?"

Hazel's POV

"No offence," Jason leant against a tree. "But what's so important about this girls hat? Was she your ex or something?"

Nico balled his hands into fists and the grass around him started to wither a sickly yellow and smoke dangerously. "Her name was Bianca di Angelo," He said. "She was my sister and that was one of her oldest belongings - one of the only things I know survived."

"Survived what?" This time it was Frank who asked the question.

"Her death."

The deafening silence closed in on us as my brother stormed off back down the hill to the Greek camp. Blood pounded in my ears with worry, would he be alright?

Annabeth stood up, her boots crunching on a twig. "We'll need to inform Chiron of this." She said calmly, "This entire thing has been rather unsettling, if I'm to be honest."

I walked over to where Annabeth stood, "I'll come with you."

She looked at me, seemingly surprised, before slowly nodding.

"I find this very weird." Annabeth said, we were halfway down the hill.

"I mean," Annabeth quickly continued. "Percy would never run off like that, would he?"

I shook my head.

"And what are we supposed to tell the gods? The camps? What can we possibly tell Sally?" She bitterly ranted out. I stared at her, confused.

"Sally is his Mom." She explained.

"Oh."

We walked on in near silence, the wet grass squelching underneath us. Annabeth pushed open the door to the Big House, confidently striding forward - I meekly followed.

"Chiron?" Annabeth called out.

The centaur wheeled out from behind the door on the other side of the room, he rested a small cardboard box on his lap and his eyes were red from crying.

"Chiron, Percy's gone." I stared at Annabeth - he was obviously sad, putting something so emotional so bluntly would be not help his emotional state.

"I know." Chiron weakly nodded, "He told me about half an hour ago."

I looked down at my feet, tears swelling up in my eyes. I hugged myself, "He's really gone?"

Annabeth tightly hugged me and I burst into tears, "He can't be gone!" I pushed her away from me, "He saved me from the curse, Annabeth! He wouldn't just leave us like that!"

She shook her head at me sadly, "I didn't want to believe it, Hazel, but there seems to be little choice on the matter."

She pulled me into another hug as the emotions swirled through me; anger, sadness, disbelief, fear, rage, comfort and an overwhelming feeling of loss. Chiron awkwardly coughed and this time it was Annabeth who pulled away.

"Percy left this box for you and your cabin, perhaps you would take it down to them?" Chiron asked, "It could be a good distraction."

Annabeth smiled at Chiron as he passed over the box. She tucked it under her arm, thanking him before setting off at a quick pace. I followed her example, wishing that none of this had happened.

I sorrowfully looked up to the sky, "Why, Percy?" I asked the wind. "Why?"