Christmas Eve: December 24th, Part 3 :Ebony

"Ebony, baby, wake up."

I awakened in the dark room to find Brian looming over the bed, his blond hair illuminated by the light streaming through the bedroom window. "What time is it?" I rubbed my eyes. After a day spent shopping and preparing for tomorrow's activities with my mother and Mrs. Young, I was exhausted.

"Nearly midnight. You were supposed to meet me outside ten minutes ago."

The mattress lowered on one side of the bed as Brian sat down. I reached out and rested a hand on his thigh. I wanted him to crawl in-between the sheets with me and talk in bed. But I knew my man. Talking would lead to cuddling which would lead to kissing and end in sex. I had no problem with all three activities, but his mother's rules about un-married couples sleeping together in her house were finite. I was not about to break them.

"Are you sure we can't talk here? It's warm and I'm comfortable." I put on my best smile, but it was no use; he couldn't see it in the dark.

"Don't tempt me." He ran his finders along my hand. "Let's go, I promise you'll be comfortable. Be sure to grab a jacket." He stood and offered his hand.

I still wore my clothes from earlier in the day in preparation for our late night rendezvous. I shoved off the sheets, got out of bed, and slipped on my tennis shoes.

Our fingers linked, I followed Brian into the hall, tiptoeing past the guest room where my parents slept, and his parents' master bedroom. The lights in both rooms were off, but a faint blue glow ran underneath his parents' door.

"They sleep with the television on," he whispered.

We crept slowly down the steps.

"Follow my lead, step where I step," he instructed.

I nodded and did as I was told; only missing one spot. The creak of that step sounded like a gunshot in a quiet room. We froze; no doors opened. I suppressed a giggle while Brian stifled a laugh.

We made our way through the dark house and out of the sliding-glass door in the kitchen. Instead of stopping at the patio table and chairs on the back porch, Brian retrieved a flashlight from the railing and led me across the backyard.

I looked at the newly built gazebo. "We're not going there?"

"No. We need privacy. If they wake up and look outside, they'll see us. We're headed for the treehouse." Brian handed me the flashlight and lowered the rope steps. He reached for the light, stuck it between his teeth, and climbed.

I inclined my head and watched. When he reached the top, he looked down. "Come on."

"I must be crazy," I murmured, testing the rope to be sure it would support my weight. "If I fall on my ass I'm kicking yours," I said, loud enough for him to hear.

When I reached the top, I crawled through a small door into a room that was big enough for us to sit facing each other. The flashlight sat on its flat base, the light reflecting off the ceiling and bouncing off the wooden walls. I wiped my hands on my jeans and looked around. Pictures, drawings, and posters lined the walls while a box filled with a variety of toys sat in the corner.

"My father and I built this when I was eight. Now my niece and nephews play here when they come to visit." He chuckled. "You know, my sisters used to sneak out of the house late at night to make out with their boyfriends when our parents were asleep."

I laughed. "I assume you did, too."

His lopsided grin I loved so much appeared. "Of course."

I shook my head, trying to ignore the green-eyed monster of jealously. It wasn't often that I thought about the women from his past.