Christmas Eve- December 24th, Part 1: Ebony

My mother-in-law to be led us into the kitchen. "Ebony, Anita, we're going to have so much fun!"

My mom and I laughed at Mrs. Young's enthusiasm. We'd spent the day going from store to store, picking up last minute gifts and ingredients for her Christmas breakfast and Christmas dinner dishes.

The Young family's customs were nothing like my family's. I watched my mother all day as she stopped herself on several occasions from suggesting where the other woman should place a decorative item or exactly what meals should be on the menu. I had to say...she was a trooper.

This was the first time my mother would not be hosting Christmas dinner at our family home. Every year, no matter where we were, our family dropped everything to be together. Especially since Trevon and I graduated high school and went to college. I'd moved to California while my brother, Trevon, attended college in Atlanta, Georgia. Upon graduation, he made the city his home. My older sister, Lashana, and her husband and daughter were the only ones living near mom and dad.

I snuck a peek at my mom as she accepted the aged recipe from Laura's family cook book. She scanned the ingredients and plastered on a smile. It wasn't a dish she was familiar with. When it came to something new, my mother had to be prodded to accept change. I could tell she longed for the dishes she customarily made back home.

I felt a momentary pain of guilt. Once again, my decisions affected those I loved. If I had opened up about what was going on in my life, things would be a lot different now. I would have been home, and Brian would be with me, meeting my entire family. Instead, he had obligations to attend to that kept us in town.

But when I thought about it, things were working out the way they should. Soon, Brian and I would be starting our own family traditions as a married couple. Between my family across county, and his large family in town, deciding where we spent the holiday would be interesting.

Having my parents meet my future in-laws now instead of on our wedding day would make the decisions we made much easier.

"Oh crap, where are my manners?" Laura said. I looked up to see her watching my mother. "We were out all day, so I didn't ask if there was something you'd like to make for dinner. I'm so sorry."

My mom smiled. "Oh, it's not a problem. Everyone does things differently."

"Yes it is. It's probably too late to plan a meal. Would you like to make something for dessert?"

My mother's eyes brightened. "Are you sure you wouldn't mind?"

"Of course not." Laura smiled. She walked over to the refrigerator where a mini notepad and pen were stuck on with a magnet. "Write down what you need. Whatever we don't have, I'll send Brian to the store to get."

"Okay, wow, I'm not sure what to make!" My mom put her hands on her hips, deep in thought.

"How about your famous Banana Pudding? I haven't had it in ages," I suggested.

"Perfect!" both women said in unison.

My mother jotted down the ingredients from memory.

"Laura, what time is Bridget going to be here?" I asked.

"Bridget?" My mom looked up from her notes.

"She's one of Brian's sisters. You'll love her, she's a riot."

"That's right, I remember you telling me about her. Laura, how many children do you have?" my mom asked.

"Five. Four girls and one boy. Brian is the baby." Laura selected a pot out of the cabinet, then put her hands on her hips as if reviewing the inventory. "I hear you have twins. How fun was that?" She glanced over her shoulder.