Finding The Answers

Book Two

Finding the Answers

By: Ian Kellman

            Friends

Ever since we were little, Drake & I were the closest of friends.  We went to the same school, sat at the same lunch table & rode the same bus.  Drake loves playing sports & reading Manga.  One time the teacher caught him reading one behind a text book. He had another one hidden in his backpack.  I was going to tell him to put it away but I didn’t...

After school, Drake goes to soccer practice which he’s really good at.  Even I was jealous of him because I was never good at any sports.  Drake did try to teach me on the weekends.  He only lives about 5 miles from my house.  Usually, when I go to his house we’d play video games or just hang out.  But most of the time he comes over my house.  The reason why is his parents were arguing a lot. Drake said they were going to separate.  Then there was an accident.

            Two years later Drakes dad was in a car crash.  His dad would always get drunk after he gets home from work. 

On the night of the crash he got in his car and went to the bar.  He had a couple of beers.  After that he got in his car & started driving home.  He was almost at the traffic light and was speeding real bad.  The light was green as he came up on it but quickly changed to red.  He knew he wouldn’t make it.  He couldn’t slow down & was swerving all through the intersection.

BOOM!

A car hit the right side of the passenger seat.  The impact was so hard that the car flipped, turned in the air and hit a tree.  Drake’s dad died right there.

 The Funeral

Two days after the crash was the funeral.  Everyone paid their respects to him then.  Drake’s mom said her final words to her husband. 

Last was Drake. 

“I loved my father even though he was a drunken old man.  I’ll miss him.  Bye dad”.  After the funeral was over everyone said their goodbyes.  I told Drake “sorry about your dad”. 

“Don’t be” he replied.  I could tell he was hurting on the inside.  Something felt wrong with him.  It felt like he was another person.

Before the school year started, I went over to Drakes all the time.  Now I knocked on the door as Drake’s mom answered it.  She was crying. 

“Are you okay?” I asked. 

“I’m fine.  It’s just Drake has been acting very strange lately”.  My eyes widened.  So she noticed it too.  As I walked in the door and sat down, I knew Drake wasn’t there.  “You want anything to eat or drink?” his mom asked. 

“I’m good, thank you for asking”.  I looked into her eyes.  I knew it had to do with Drake.  “Drake didn’t come home last night.  Please find him.  He’s all I have left.  I don’t want to lose him.”  She was crying now. 

“I’ll find him.  Drake is my only friend and I don’t want to lose him either.” 

“Oh, thank you Jase” she said and gave me a hug.

            Finding

I ran out the door and went downtown.  I stopped at some stores and everyone knew who Drake was.  I asked if they had seen him last night but they all said no and so I continued my search.  Then I saw Drake on the other side of a building.  I yelled his name at him but he didn’t see me or look at me.  I ran towards him before I couldn’t see him anymore.  My heart was racing fast, but as I reached the end of the building and looked around, he wasn’t there anymore.