Chapter 5: I Love You, Branch

Poppy's POV

Branch can be a little pessimistic, but he sure does love me. I can't believe he kept all my cards! I really do love him. His pessimism is just a small portion of the great guy he is. He kept all those tears and thoughts about his grandma until now. And he had a crush on me all along. He is just so sweet!

He told me stories his grandma told him many years ago and smiled warmly until he broke into a sob. "It's all my fault," he sobbed. I had to speak. "But Branch, you were young and unaware." "Poppy to be honest with you... that kinda sounds like an insult that I'm old and 'aware'," A smirk lit up his face. "Queen Poppy, the new Queen that still looks as if she is twelve years old," he joked. "That is more of a compliment than whatever you thought it was, Oldie," I replied. "I am not an Oldie!" And he tickled me. A playful, comforting tickle, unlike Creek's old energetic happy tickles. I miss the old Creek. But who is there to miss when Branch exists!

Branch's POV

Poppy and I made it back to my bunker. Luckily I had spare blankets. I never used them. They were for emergencies. But I just let Poppy use it. She is the Queen after all. I pulled out an extra mattress. I wouldn't need this one, because I had like 50 other matresses. I gave her one that smelt of flowers. I hurried to get a pillow. And like my mattresses I had 50 others. What?!?! Don't judge me. There could be an emergency where we need mattresses blankets and pillows. Who knows? I tucked her in and she kissed me on the forehead. I smiled. "Goodnight Branch, I love you" she mumbled before drifting off. Still smiling, I whispered, "Goodnight Poppy, I love you too." And I fell asleep.