It's A Great Day Afterall

In the prescient I continued to do more paperwork. Ever so often I would think back to when I had brought in Carlos a few hours back. He was awoke while we dragged him on his feet back into the patrol car, but went in and out of consciousness while we drove him back. We determined it wasn't anything serious, and when I brought him in, a few people congratulated me. 

"Nice work." "Another bastard brought in, too bad he will be back on the streets in no time," were just a few comments I heard. The convo I had with Carlos was also interesting.

"Hey, hey, snap out of it," I said as I slapped Carlos' face about three times, nothing serious, just love taps. 

"He's probably faking," Officer Black stated. Officer Black was a new recruit and he was huge, about 6'5 and 240 pounds. He had helped me bring Carlos in, and by helping I mean he did all the carrying. 

"Yeah, probably," I said slowly, as I squinted and stared at Carlos.

"Nice work getting him by the way," Officer Black then paused. "Why tie him up though?" he asked as he began laughing. I almost forgot I found Carlos all tied up in rope. 

"I saw the rope and I said why not," I lied.

"Ha, you're a funny guy John," he said as he helped me book Carlos. When he finished helping helping and left, I brought Carlos to his small cell. When I was far enough from everyone else I began speaking to an already slouched and slow Carlos. 

"Hey, Carlos," I whispered. Carlos then looked up. 

"Yeah," he mumbled.

"What the hell happened out there. You ran and the next thing I know, you were on the ground all tied up. Who hit you?" I asked, looking around as I finished up my sentence.

Carlos looked at me and sighed. "I couldn't tell you what happened. All I remember is running in the alley and when I was gonna make an escape for it, I just felt a sharp pain and the next thing I know I was in a cop car," Carlos said, barely forming his words.

What was interesting was the fact I spotted a rectangular mark on the back of his neck while bringing him to the car. 

I then began to smirk and laugh as I tightened my grip on Carlos' arm. 

"Stop playing with me Carlos, I wanna know exactly everything that happened."

"Ah," Carlos grunted as he squeezed his eyes shut and flashed his teeth. "I swear I have no idea what happened."

Two hours later in the present, and here I was at my desk, just pondering the whole thing. "The world may never know," I said to myself. 

That night I decided to treat Giovanni and I. "Gio," I yelled as I entered m home. 

"Bro, that's you?" Gio asked from upstairs.

"Yeah, get dressed and stop jerking off, we going to Cold Stone baby," I yelled.

"Oh shit, I'm getting dressed now," Gio responded as I could hear his hurried footsteps throughout the ceiling. When we got to Cold Stone, I ordered my favorite ice cream treat, Birthday Cake Remix, while Gio chose Chocolate Devotion. 

"So much chocolate, don't you ever get tired of it?" I asked him.

"That's like asking do I ever get tired of myself," he said as he put out his hand and started looking at the skin on his left hand.

"Wanna try some of my ice cream?" I asked him. I was looking down and scooping up my ice cream, but when I heard no response, I looked up only to find Gio looking at his hand, a burned marking left across it . 

"No," he said as he put his spoon down in his cup and just sighed.

"You know, life is a fucked up thing. I wish I could tell you that it will get better, but these days I feel like it just gets more and more unpredictable. But... I'm working hard to make sure I could provide for us both till you're ready to go out there on your own," I said as I began to put my spoon back down. 

"Remember when you stepped up to dad and actually fought him," Gio said as he began to smile. 

I then began to smirk. "Yeah, I was tired of how he treated us," I said as I started poking at my ice cream.

"You think mom's death is the reason why he hated me?" Gio asked, his eyes beginning to become glossy. He was still looking at his hand too. 

"Nah, he loved us, but anger is a vicious cycle. You gotta remember he went through a lot when he was young too and mom's suicide only made it worse." I paused, thinking about postpartum depression. "But whenever there's a storm, there's a sunny day not too far away, well if you could survive the storm," I finished as I began to smile. 

"Word," Gio said as he finally looked up at me. " I wanna make a difference like you one day," he finished.

"And you will, soon," I said touching his left hand with my right.

"Woah bro, chill," Gio said pulling his hand back. "We don't want anyone thinking we are what we really aren't," he said looking over at an old couple already looking at us.

"Let them think what they want, it's no one's business," I said pulling at his shirt.

"Nah chill," he said pushing my hands back and laughing.

Soon after we threw out our ice cream and headed back home. Along the way, I turned on the radio station.

"That's when they smile in m face," the song played, it was Fake Love by Drake. "Yeah I know they wanna take my placeeeee, I could see their love is fake," my brother began to sing. The music was beautiful, and I appreciated every hidden and discrete sound that was present int he background of the song. I began to smile was I started singing along, though my lyrics were all wrong. I remember listening to music with Mariah while we laid in the park. When she died though, I just shut it all away. Just thinking about it caused me to have this bad taste in my mouth, the sour taste that was followed by a small pain in my stomach. 

"Bro," Gio said as he tapped me. 

"Huh," I said, my eyebrows raised. I forgot we were driving on the road. 

"So there's this girl in my school who is feeling me. Now before I show you her, just know I don't want to hit, not at all," he said while smirking. 

"Show her then," I commanded.

"Alright," Gio said as he brought the phone forward enough that till it was in my peripheral view. I looked over only to see and lord forgive me, this fat, non-symmetrical face looking, big nosed, flat nosed, barely any hair on her head girl. 

"Bro, I'm about to get you, there's no way you thought about it," I said, laughing the whole way through while pointing at the picture. 

"Bro, don't play me now, I got taste ok. I done had some girls that looked better than anything you had," Gio said nodding his head slowly and smiling. 

"Ok, lets not ignore how ugly Shelby was, and how long were you with her for? Two, three, years?" 

"No," Gio said as he paused. "It was one year," he finished.

I began laughing at loud. "You still liked her though. You got a yuck mouth for kissing her," I said as Gio joined me in my laughter. Its been awhile since we really enjoyed the night, and most importantly, ourselves.

"We should do this more often," Gio suggested. 

"Definitely, lets make this a weekly thing."

Chapter dedicated to @cakegenius