Chapter 1: Just Another Day

Ashton sighed as he looked down at his school desk and his teacher droned on. School was just school to him, nothing more and nothing less and he paid no attention to it what so ever. He could almost say he hated it, but if anything it was more of an annoyance. He had always exceeded with his school work but when it came to rest of it, the rest of school, he paid it no mind. The seconds on the clock ticked by, slowly, like a drip of water from a drain. Without a thought he looked up at the chalk board, on it was charts and diagrams depicting supply and demand of certain products. Economics? That’s right… Ashton thought as he put his head back down.

                “Mr. Damien,” announced his teacher Mr. Milled. “Pop question! What is the definition of Economics?” Ashton cringed at the sound of his teacher, Mr. Milled’s voice. For Ashton it was like listing to sand paper grind against sheet metal and made a shiver run up his spine.

                “Sir, if you don’t mind me asking, what does that have to do with supply and demand? At that, why choose to ask me the definition of economics? Economics itself has such a wide range of definitions. Are we talking micro or macro, or even what the cause and effect of spending tax payer money on things such as bail outs and other nonsense?” Silence filled the entire classroom as they waited for Mr. Milled’s reaction, which never came. Without a sound he turned around and went back to teaching the class. Then without even so much as a smile or even a sigh, Ashton put his down and went to sleep. Several minutes later the bell rang and school was dismissed.