0 1

Do you know that feeling where everything seems pointless? Like you're giving all that you have in order to attain something, exerting a lot of effort every second without even making it halfway? Because right now, that's what I feel.

Dammit, how do you get perfect curls? 

I sighed and set the curling iron back on the vanity table. I stared back at my reflection on the mirror, locking gazes with the same pair of gray eyes before settling my sight on my wild, dark brown mess of a hair. I began telling my reflection, "Right now, one of the following is wrong: it's either you, your hair, or that goddamned iron."

Yup, definitely the iron.

Get a grip, Ro. You're blaming a non-locomotor object. Rolling my eyes at my internal display of foolishness, I piled my hair on top of my head and decided to put it into a messy bun instead, since I couldn't even curl my hair right.

I took out my cream-colored sweatshirt and a pair of ripped, black jeans out of the closet and decided to settle for my choice. After tying the shoelaces of my dirty white Converse, I registered myself at the mirror before muttering out a line from Princess Diaries, "This is as good as its gonna get."

Feeling half-satisfied with myself, I grabbed my mini black backpack and rushed downstairs for breakfast.

7:20 AM. Just in time for good food.

When I reached the dining room, the scent of bacon, eggs, and pancakes invaded my senses. "Hey, Mom. Good morning!" I went up and kissed my mom on her cheek. I turned to face my brother, who was currently sipping his daily dose of caffeine. "Morning, Julian."

"What's so good in the morning?" Julian grumpily muttered out.

"Morning, sweetheart. Here, gobble up before you leave. Wouldn't want to start the year with an empty stomach, right?" Mom said as she handed me my breakfast plate which I happily munched on.

Unlike the rest of us in our house, Mom is a morning person. Julian and I mostly take after our dad when it comes to personality, but we take after mom's looks— chocolate brown hair and a pair of gray orbs. Sadly, I did not inherit her natural wavy hair and was left with thick, wild ones instead.

I looked around the table, finding one person missing. "Where's dad?" I asked.

"Burrowed in blankets and snoring loudly, that man. I swear he's the reason why I'm always up so early." Mom replied in a joking tone. "Julian will drop you off at school before heading back to college."

As soon as we heard this, Julian and I replied instantaneously, "What?"

Mom narrowed her eyes at our reaction and seriously said, "Learn how to carpool." She then went back upstairs, probably to wake dad up and prepare for work.

I turned to Julian and was about to ask him a question but he beat me to it. "Can't you just ask Diana to pick you up like usual? I still want to get some sleep before going back to that hell hole of a college." He groaned.

"I was just about to tell you the same thing but you know how mom gets. Boss' order. Or else, we're dead." I looked him dead in the eye.

Julian sighed, as I pointed out one of the general truths of life. "You got a point. Finish your food, we leave in five or you might get late. Good thing my things are all packed."

I nodded and silently finished my food while Julian swallowed his coffee all in one go. "Mom, Dad! We're going now!" I shouted out, although dad's still probably burrowed in blankets and snoring loudly.