Forty One

Kelsey’s Point of View:

Jesus, Mary and Joseph… what have I gotten myself into this time?

“What are you doing here?” I questioned Carly nervously, my parent’s hard stares burning holes through my body from the intensity they shared.

“I thought I’d come by and see how you were doing but it seems like you were on your way to my house to do Italian homework?” She stared at me incredulously.

“Yeah…” I awkwardly shuffled on my feet. “I did but you weren’t home…”

“It’s been almost two hours Kelsey.” My father spat harshly, his lips pressed firmly together. “Would you like to tell us where you were for those two hours when you were supposedly doing homework?”

I felt my throat burn, my feet glued to the ground and my stomach churning painfully. “I--”

“And don’t lie to us.” My mother spoke up this time, the tone in her voice cutting through the thick air violently.

My eyes flashed to Carly as she merely stood there, unmoving. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

Something was not right here.

“What’s going on?” I voiced my thoughts, taken back by the whole situation.

Carly licked her lips, avoiding my gaze while my parents continued to stare at me with disbelief.

“Tell us the truth Kelsey.” Dad spoke up again. “And stop trying to change the subject.”

“I’m not. I’m really confused right now…” I mumbled, shifting on my feet and looking all around the room. It was then that I spotted Dennis on the stairs with sincerity twinkling in his eyes.

I scrunched my face together, trying to decipher what his emotions were trying to tell me. To make things easier, Dennis mouthed the words Justin and Carly and almost instantly I knew what he meant.

Locking my jaw tight, I strictly nodded my head towards Dennis, shifting my eyes to Carly, giving her the most utmost look of disgust that I could muster.

“Kelsey… we’re waiting…” My dad tapped his shoe endlessly and impatiently against the hardwood floors.

“Why should I tell you anything?” I looked at him. “I’m sure Carly told you all you needed to know.”

Her head snapped up when the words escaped my lips and Dennis’ message was all clear to me now.

“Kelsey--”

“How could you?” I spat. “You were my best friend!”

“I am your best friend!” She cried back.