13: Precious Rubies

"Morning Thomas," Rigsby greeted me. I smiled at him. It has been almost five months since Patrick was placed in a coma. We charged John with murder and attempt at murder. He was never going to be seen again. Patrick was still in the coma with no signs of waking up. I was starting to get used to him not around, but he was still in my mind. I went to see him at least once a week, if not more. We still had work to do, but Patrick was always on my mind.

"Morning Rigsby," I said back. He held up a Styrofoam cup and I took it from him. "Your an angel at times."

"At times?" he asked with a smile and I took a sip of the coffee. The sugar was mixed in, as was the cream. It tasted just the way I loved it, and the hit of villina was wonderful.

"I don't know what you do in your free time, so at times."

"Very funny Thomas."

"Thank you."

I sat down drinking the coffee and looked up when Cho walked in. He sat down and yawned very loudly.

"Tired Cho?" I asked him and he looked up.

"A little," he told me. "Didn't sleep well last night. Are you tired?" 

"I'm a mother of a four year old boy and a one year old girl. I'm lucky they let me close my eyes." Brayson had finally turned four this year, but Patrick had missed it. It was August now, and Brayson's birthday is in May. Patrick had been out cold since March.

"I see your point," Rigsby laughed also. He had a daughter also, and she was amazing, has was his wife. I was invited to the wedding, and it was beautiful. That was a few years ago, so not much thought of Patrick was in it.

"Good morning everyone," VanPelt told us with a smile. I smiled back.

"Good morning Grace," I told her.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine, though Brayson and Alexis kept me up all night."

"Why?"

"They missed their daddy."

"Don't we all?" Rigsby asked looking at the couch Patrick would be laying on if he was here at the moment.

"I never thought I would miss him this much," VanPelt said.

"Neither did I," Cho told us.

"Did they say anything about him waking up?" Lisbon asked walking into the room. I sighed and looked at my ring.

"He could be like this for a long time, and there is nothing they can do but keep him alive," I answered. 

"It's kind they are doing that," Cho said. 

"Since he shows signs that he will wake up, they said they will keep him going." 

"At least he will wake up," VanPelt smiled taking my hand in hers. 

"Thanks," I said, then I looked at the date. It was August thirteenth, and I was going to stay at the hospital tonight since tomorrow was a special day. 

"Why don't we take you to a nice dinner?" Rigsby suggested with a smile. "It could be our gift for tomorrow."

"I like the sound of that!" VanPelt spoke up with the same smile. Lisbon also smiled, but Cho just looked at me.

"I would love that," I answered and Lisbon looked at us.

"Well after work we will all go to this dinner, and have a good time," Lisbon said, and we agreed.

-----After work-----

"The food here is wonderful!" VanPelt told us taking a bit out of her food. I smiled at her and took a bit out of the chicken Alfredo they gave me. I saw it on the menu and since this is the gift they got me, I bought it in memory of the food Patrick made me on my birthday. Also because none of the other stuff sounded very good to this. Grace was right; it was wonderful to eat. I took a sip of the Mt. Dew I was drinking, and looked at the others.

"How is it?" I asked, and I got a bunch of greats and goods.

"I think this dinner was long over due for us to have with all the work we have done," Lisbon said with a grin on her face.

"So do you have anything special planned for tomorrow?" Rigsby asked me.

"Not really," I answered. "I'm going to stay with Patrick tonight, and hope to have a normal day. I just don't think it would be right celebrating without him."

"I understand."

"It must be hard," Cho said looking at me. "I don't know anyone else who could raise two kids not knowing when their husband will come out of a coma the way you are Thomas."

"Thanks Cho," I told him with a smile.

"You're welcome."

"Who is paying for all of this?" VanPelt asked, and I laughed a bit.

"I thought this was supposed to be a gift from all of you!" I laughed.

"It was, which is why you are not paying for your meal," Lisbon replied. "We'll split it up, besides Thomas, and let her get on to the hospital."

"Thanks guys," I told them finishing up my meal. "I have to get going now. See you after tomorrow!"

They told me bye and I got up. I had an off day tomorrow, and I looked at the time. It was almost eleven, so I would have plenty of time to get to the hospital before midnight, which was when I wouldn't be allowed to stay the night with Patrick. I got in the car I was driving and speed to the hospital.

I walked in the hallways with the sounds of my heels on the tiled floors. Nurses and doctors walked by rooms with patients, and I found the room my husband was in. He laid the way he had the fist night he was brought here. A looked at the clock showed it was five till midnight, and I sat down next to Patrick. I took his hand in my own and played with his ring.

I sat there looking at the time fly by, and soon the two hands were on the minute hands. It was officially August fourteenth. I looked back at all the dates that I really knew by heart. On March twenty-seventh, I was born. On April thirteenth to May fifth I was held captive by the Red Stars. On May fifteen I had my wonderful son Brayson. On December sixth I had my little angel Alexis. Today, August fourteenth, I got married to Patrick Jane six years ago.

"Happy anniversary," I told him and placed my head on his chest. The bullet hole was gone, and the oxygen tank was no longer in his nose. The IV's and other things were still there, but I didn't care at the moment. I made my mind, for one brief second, believe that I was home in my bed placing my head on Patrick's just cause I wanted to hear his heart beat. In that brief second I feel asleep, thinking about him. 

I might cry. So what did y'all think? I know that this is depressing, but I promise, big surprise next chapter, but I won't tell you if it is good or bad. MWHAHAHA! I am also working on another book, but I can't give away too much now. It will happen after NB, which will end before RR, so look out for the tittle for that book. I really don't have much to say. Peace out my Stars!