Chapter Three

Lukas had been with Helen and her family for a few days now. Not exactly a week, but close to it. Helen hadn't asked him about what he saw, and he didn't think she would really. Gabe seemed pretty nice, he had invited Lukas to the waters with him, but Lukas wasn't calm enough to leave the house yet. Philip and him seemed close, like those friends that just kinda connect. They've been playing Egyptian Rat Screw for endless hours since Lukas taught Philip how to play. Lukas wasn't ready to leave the house, so Philip didn't either. He didn't want to be rude and for some reason, he got the sense Lukas was more comfortable with him around.

"You cheated!" Philip said tossing his cards down, laughing.

"How do you cheat at Egyptian Rat Screw?" Lukas laughed as he got the cards together and begun to shuffle them.

"I don't know but you did it." Philip mumbled playfully. They were sitting on Philips bed, Helen and Gabe were in town, and Philip wanted to keep Lukas distracted. "Where did you learn to play this anyway?"

"My mom taught me." Lukas said as he passed the cards out. "We used to play all the time before—before she died." He said the last part quietly.

"I'm sorry, Lukas."

"It's fine really, it's been a few years so."

"Yeah." Philip nodded, taking his cards. They played for a few more minutes before Lukas won, again

"Okay, let's take a break." Lukas said standing up and stretching.

"Sure." He said laying out and stretching. Lukas stood by the window, looking out.

"Can I ask you something?" Lukas broke the silence, his voice holding an uneasy tone to it.

"Yeah." Philip said looking up at him as he sat criss cross on the bed.

"Where's your parents? Your real ones I mean."

Philip looked down and started shuffling the deck of cards he was holding. "My dad died a long time ago and my mom, she's um–in rehab. She has a bad drug problem, but she's getting better though." He rushed to assure Lukas.

"That's good." Lukas said sitting beside him. He felt bad for Philip, he could tell how much he loved his mother.

"Yeah." He said. "At first she just kept telling me she was getting better when she wasn't. Then Helen and Gabe got her in rehab and now she really is getting better."

"Do you think you'll go live with her when she gets better?"

"I haven't thought about it honestly." Philip shrugged. "Besides, I don't know how long it will be."

"I understand. Sorry I asked."

"It's fine really."

"My dad he um–" Lukas took a deep breath before continuing. "He's always been a little ruff around the edges, but when my mom died he turned into a complete hard-ass. He means well though, he does."

"I understand." Philip said quietly. "Sorry."

"It's fine really." Lukas said repeating Philips words from earlier, they both smiled.

"I'm sorry you're here Lukas." Philip said after a few moments.

Lukas took in a deep breath then released a long sigh. "'S'not your fault." He said looking over at the other boy.

"I know it isn't." Philip said. "I'm still sorry."

"Thanks." He said quietly. "Your town is so much different from the city. From Seattle."