Chapter Five: New life and the old

Dylan's words left me reeling. 

Confused and struggling to decipher what he'd left with me, I put the pieces together. He'd watched someone die. Regardless, the word was all I would get, Dylan wasn't the talkative type and I wasn't one to pry but what was the redemption he spoke off?

The way Dylan left, I could almost see the arrogance lifting off his bare back like a fog. Dylan's naked back was something straight out of a sports illustrated magazine and my eyes were thirsty. Every curve of every muscle was something I wanted to admire, and it wasn't until I heard the door slam in the distance that I realized that Dylan had long since been out of eyeshot and what I was staring at was simply a silhouette. 

After shaking myself free of mesmerization, I managed to drag my attention back to the food Dylan had indicated was mine. If weren't for the distraction that Dylan had offered, I would've been able to grasp how enticing the meal actually was. 

Once I'd slid the contents of the container unto the plate, I popped it into the microwave and hit 2. I pulled myself up onto the counter and twisted the ends of my curly, shaggy looking hair between my fingertips. Though I'd been diagnosed with Cancer, I was fortunate enough to not suffer from all of the side effects. My hair was still fine, aside from a few split ends, there were no major changes.

However, that was going to change. Suddenly being told I would get Chemotherapy was a lot to digest, but anyway I looked at it, it was happening. I wasn't going to die doped up on drugs or drunk from nursing a mixture of whiskey and vodka nor would it be from my lungs giving out from being eaten by cancer. I would live and the dirty blonde hair that was usually in a tangled mess would most likely be gone. 

When the microwave beeped, signaling that the premade meal was ready to be consumed, I hopped off the counter and quickly retrieved the plate. The smell instantly surrounded me, and I realized then that eating at Dylan's house would be much more spectacular than I had imagined. 

Cheese sauce covered ravioli glistened as the steam rose from the plate. The meal was sure to be delicious, just from the smell alone, I was salivating, and I wondered to myself just how long it had been that I had been enticed by food. Years maybe. Maybe even as far back

Minutes later, I put the empty plate in the sink. It was time to find Dylan. 

Back to the hallway, and peering down each end, I searched for the man who'd offered me his hand, but he was nowhere to be seen. So, instead of digging around anymore, I went back to the room in which I'd woken up. Peace lasted for a few minutes as I laid on the bed and stared up at the ceiling fan. A harsh knock from the front of the room caused me to fly into a sitting position. 

It was Dylan.

Standing in the doorway with a short white towel draped around his neck, he eyed me. The exposed skin of his arms and neck showed me that he was no longer covered in paint. And based on the fact that he was dressed in black slacks and had his white shirt almost completely buttoned, I figured he was going somewhere. 

"I'll show you where your room is," Dylan said as he sleeked his fingers through his damp silky hair. "Oh, and Lilith," he continued as I sat on the bed looking back at him. "I won't be here tonight, feel free to get yourself acquainted, though I doubt you'll have much time since you need to unpack."

I watched him for a moment, swallowing hard as I stared at how deceptively beautiful he was.

 He somehow screamed arrogance even in the simple way he was dressed. Cocking an eyebrow in irritation, Dylan cleared his throat, and I guessed to myself that it was because I didn't hop at his words.