Three

The hospital is boring beyond words. That person visits me everyday, and as I can't sleep, I have yet to discover what time of day that might be.
I can tell you what I look like. I have very long brown hair, storm cloud blue eyes and pale skin. I am tall for my age and I am slim, despite my hate for anything faster than a jog. I am a healthy person, but I don't think I should have survived.
Something must have happened, I must have hit something. No-- that thing that covered me! It must have saved me from the blast! I hope somebody else was given that small mercy. Well, this isn't really a mercy. I hate it, truthfully. I am grateful to whomever was watching over me that day, but--
That person is here again.

***

I know she is awake, I know she is aware of everything that happens to her body. But I cannot help her. I already cheated for both of our lives. We should be dead. She should be dead. But she is not, and now she and I must both pay.
I am Gabriel and I have cheated death more than enough times to know that her life will never be the same. And so I mourn for her and I know she can feel me. I do not, however, know the extent of the damage. I might have cheated death, but life is no fool. He knows my kind, knows what we pride ourselves in. Death is no fool, either, but he is smart enough to try and punish those of us who interfere. Which is why I must let part of her go. I could not choose, for beggars must not be choosers.
I am with her now. They cut her hair and it is now short and choppy. It was beautiful, and now, after days of nothing, it has lost its shine. But it is still her hair, which makes it stunning. And her eyes...I wish she would open those thundering eyes for me. Just once more, so I might be able to apologize. And she is cold, so cold. Her body is working with mine to knit itself back together, to obey and to bend.
Once you save someone, you form a sort of bond. I can feel her anger and confusion, her frustration. And it pains me. You can't cheat death for just anyone.

A/N: Okay, so again, not the longest, but I am proud none the less! And thank you for reading, it really means a lot to me!

-HSA