1- calum who?

a/n: can we take a moment to appreciate this GODLY picture of calum?? like the veins and the tattoos omfg... <3

if you realise that this chapter is different from my previous version of chapter 1, it's because I edited it! I'm basically re-writing everything to make it better because let's be honest, my 13-year-old writing was pretty shitty. enjoy this chapter :)

*

I woke up to wisps of sunlight and birdsong as my eyelids fluttered open. A dreamlike, ethereal atmosphere hung in the air, the smell of waffles aromatic. I could already imagine the golden syrupy goodness over the crispy dough, melting on my tastebuds. I let out a sigh of contentment, pulling my silk covers out of my face. With a yawn, I glanced at my silver alarm clock on my bedside table. Shit.

My clock read 8am. I was late for school. More importantly, I was late for my first day of school.

"Ms. Sullivan, Ms. Sullivan, are you done yet? The chaffeur is already here to take you to school! Your first new school in 10 years- isn't that exciting Ms. Sullivan?" I heard the thick Polish accent of my maid, Dorota, echo through the hallway outside my door.

Dorota had practically raised me since my mother was constantly away designing clothes and attending fashion shows. My father was a wealthy businessman, who ran a factory the size of twenty football fields. Dorota woke me up every single day at 7:30am for school, and it was uncharacteristic for me to be late. Especially on my first day at Norwest Christian College.

"I'm nearly done, Dorota! I'll be down in five minutes," I lied through my teeth, groaning at the thought of missing the waffles.

I ran straight to my bathroom, washing my face and yanking a brush through my wavy brunette curls. I looked like a mess, but I didn't have any time to fix my face. I brushed my teeth and applied some lip gloss I had found next to the sink.

Racing out towards my four-poster bed, I threw on the freshly-pressed uniform that was hanging in my cupboard. Although I had purchased the school uniform months before school had started, I had never really looked at it properly. Looking in the mirror, I admired how the plaid skirt settle nicely along my curves and how the blazer, emblazoned with the school crest, fit snugly on top of the ruffled white blouse. Hmph, I thought, at least the people at my new school had some taste when it came to fashion.

But there was something missing. I smiled to my reflection, my lips perking up into a small smile as I took my red headband out from my bedside drawer and placed it on my head. Perfect.

"I'm coming, Dorota!" I shouted.

*

I rushed into my first class with a flush on my cheeks and beads of sweat dripping down the nape of my neck. I had barely made it past the office, grabbing my timetable from the lady at the front, Ms. Lacy. She informed me that my first class was Chemistry, in Science Lab 2. It was on the third floor of the building- and students were not permitted to use the elevator. So, I ran up in my kitten heels, nearly tripping over my own feet as I cringed at the thought of being 10 minutes late for my first class. In my previous school, I had an unblemished track record that was full of As.

"I'm sorry I'm late, Mr. Francis. My chaffeur overslept," I mentally kicked myself for my half-ass excuse, but I was met with an understanding nod from Mr. Francis, a chubby, bespectacled man.