I Am His {An Everthorne Fanfiction}

A/N: This is what I think should've happened after Katniss says "Real" to Peeta.

(POV) Katniss

Memories swirl through my mind and I try to sort out what is true from what is false. I remember the technique one of my doctor's suggested not long ago. I name off the simplest things, the things I know to be true, then I work toward the more complicated. The list begins to roll in my head...

My name is Katniss Everdeen. I was the Mockingjay, the beacon of hope for all the rebels back during the Rebellion. I live in District Twelve with Peeta Mallark who was kidnapped by the Capitol and was brainwashed. I got him back, and I just said "real" to his question: "you love me, real or not real?"

But... Is it true? Of course I love him, but its different from the way he loves me. We both know it. I love him in the way I love a dandelion in the spring. But what I truly need is fire. Kindled with rage and hatred. Something that will keep me burning bright.

My thoughts turn to Gale. Alone in District Two. Probably kissing another pair of lips. The thought makes my stomach squirm. Why?

I remember a while back when Greasy Sae had told me where Gale had gone. I remember digging around inside myself trying to register how i felt. And it hadn't been anger, hatred or longing. The only thing I had felt was relief. So the way I'm feeling now doesnt make sense... Gale killed... killed... her. It was one of his bombs. The bomb that had been both Gale's and Beetee's invention. It was made so that after the first bomb went off, there would be time for the rescuers to come in, and then the next bomb would blow. Killing both the Hunter and the Rescuer.

Unfortunately, it had been used against the Capitol's children during the end of the Rebelion. The first bomb had blown, injuring the children severely. I still remember the sight of undersized body parts littering the snow. My sister, who had not yet turned fourteen, had come rushing in to help them when the second bomb had exploded. And all I could do was stand and watch as my sister turned into a giant ball of fire. After, when i had talked to Gale, he had said that he didn't know if the bomb had been one of his. But at the time, there was no way I could separate what had happened to my sister from Gale.

I feel a pang of guilt. I had been so worked up about how i felt about my sister's death that i hadnt even taken notice to how Gale may have felt. Was he hurting? I find myself wondering what he could be doing in Two... Another feeling fights its way into my mind. A feeling I thought I'd never feel again when it came to Gale. But I can't stop it, the longing.

I miss him.