Guess Who's Back

I scratched the back of my neck, pondering about what to do in this situation. It didn't help that the black wig was making the back of my neck. This wig that I wore was a messy mop of tangled hair that I haven't bothered to brush properly. But it managed to conceal my identity pretty well, along with the mask. I still remember the day I went to get my mask made by Uta at his shop, HySy.

"Do you have any allergies to rubber or metals?"

"No."

"Full face or half?"

"Full."

"Want a snack?"

I remember reaching for the eyeball but then stopping myself. In the back of my mind, I wondered about whether it had once belonged to a human or a ghoul. I decided not to take any chances. After all, I still had to keep my promise to Juuzou.

"Actually, no thanks."

"Do you have any lovers?"

"Um... how does that connect to making my mask??"

"I just want to get to know you better so I can make your mask fit your personality."

"Fit my personality?"

I thought about myself. The first thing that came to my mind at the moment was...

"I want a pig-faced mask."

"A pig?"

"Yes."

"Mind if I ask why?"

Because I'm a pig. I'm a dirty, stinking, filthy pig. I hate myself. I'm disgusted with myself.

"I like pigs."

And just like that, I had my first mask made. My very own pig head mask. I have even become quite famous that, thanks to this mask, I've earned myself a catchy title. The CCG refers to me as Blood Pig. Because every time I found myself running into an investigator, I was covered in blood.

However, it was never human blood nor an investigator's blood that was on me. It was always ghoul blood. All I hunt are ghouls but that doesn't stop the CCG from labeling me as a dangerous threat. Even though I haven't harmed a single investigator or a human being in the last few years.

Yet here I am. Standing at the top of a building here in the 13th Ward, looking down at the situation unfolding before me. Juuzou, along with his new partner, Hanbee, (whose name I happen to know due to my eavesdropping) found themselves outnumbered by that gang of ghouls that have been rising up lately. The Skull Masks.

Except a couple weeks ago, Juuzou and Hanbee had defeated their leader. I almost had to step in when I thought Juuzou was just going to let himself get injured by the leader of the Skull Masks. But then I realized the true reason as to why he didn't move that time. It was to help his partner overcome a fear. Up until that point, Hanbee had done nothing but tremble in the presence of ghouls. He ran away from them, endangering his own life and then leaving Juuzou to come and rescue him at the last minute.

But on that particular day when they faced off against the leader, Juuzou purposely let himself become unarmed. Right when a lethal blow was about to be delivered, he stood there and stared back at his frightened partner who couldn't even stand back up. But to my surprise, Hanbee picked himself off the ground and defeated the Skull Masks leader in order to save his partner.

Now here they are again. This time, surrounded by the rest of the Skull Masks. They probably wanted revenge against these two for what they did to their leader. Although I wasn't too worried about Juuzou, it was Hanbee whom I was concerned about. He was cornered by a bunch of them, with no hope to fight them all at once. Juuzou, on the opposite side of the roof below mine, had his hands full with another handful of them.

I let out a long sigh.

As much as I didn't want to interfere, it looked like I had no other choice. I dropped down from the ledge, feeling the cold wind slice at my bare legs. Once my feet hit solid ground, I summoned my kagune and blocked several of the Skull Masks' kagunes' attack from fatally wounding Hanbee.