Chapter 1

+ This is my first fanfic so please be kind. Hope you enjoy! +

Large crowds have never been my strong suit, and I can feel my anxiety slowing, quietly receding inside of me as I close the door leading to the kitchen; the only room in the house that does not seem to be filled with people. They are dressed in black. I let out a sigh that feels like I have been holding for the past three days. It’s been three days. 

I look around to the endless homemade dishes. Dozens of filled tupperware are stacked high on the kitchen counters. I don’t understand why people give other people food in times of mourning…or any other occasion. I close my eyes. The house looks too perfect for this kind of thing. The house is white, virginal, and wears a horrifying shade of suburbia. It clashes with death. Dreary people are inside of it handing out condolences to family members about my sister’s death. Well, suicide. 

My thoughts are interrupted when someone walks into the kitchen, throwing their scrawny arms around me. A distant relative.

“Oh, Arabella, my dear! I am so sorry! She was a lovely young lady,” she says, her arms still around me. I am almost willing to push her way, but how uncivil would that be of me? Thankfully, I am rescued when my best friend, Natalie enters the room.

“Mrs. Parker, your husband has been looking for you everywhere,” she says, giving me a wink. Mrs. Parker removes herself and sniffles.

“Thank you for telling me. He’s such an old tart,” half laughing as she leaves. I thank Natalie and take a seat at one of the stools surrounding the island covered with food.

Neither of us speak for a few moments. We don’t need to. My eyes land on a picture of her. Of June. She’s wearing a bathing suit and is laying on her side. My sister was… is so beautiful. She could have been a model, but three days ago happened. I like to pretend she is still here, and we are arguing about who should clean the kitchen. 

Someone else enters the kitchen. The tension in the air rises incredibly; I am taken back at the sight of June's ex-boyfriend, Louis, standing awkwardly near the door. I almost pity the sad look on his face. I slide off the stool and begin to place the excessive food in the fridge.

“What,” I ask. He doesn’t respond. I stop.

“What,” I repeat.

“I just wanted to talk to you for a second. I mean, if that’s alright with you,” he responds, too slowly as he looks over at Natalie. She looks at me, and I nod. 

I am now standing alone in a kitchen filled with too much food, in the middle of a suburban wasteland, with someone I’m not sure if I hate or not.