Chapter 5

“June? Yeah, I’ve seen her around,” he says, a lot more casual than seconds before. I feel as if something is being hidden from me, but I don’t want to pry. Like, there was a whole other world June hid behind her blush covered wall. I didn’t even know she had a wall. I wish she was here because then I could ask, but then again, if she were here I wouldn’t need to.

“What day can I come back to see Harry, then,” I ask him. He ponders the question, jingling the keys on his lanyard.

“I’d say tomorrow. Of course the hangover will be gone, so he should be hanging around the shop. My buddy, Zayn,” he pauses and points toward the door, indicating the boy who just left. “He’ll be here tomorrow. Ask him for Harry. Say you’re a friend of mine.” I nod, give him my gratitude, and drag Natalie to the car. She smiles and waves on the way out, her blonde hair blowing in the wind from the door.

“Thank you,” I say to the waitress once she’s brought us our milkshakes. We decided to stop for a bite and some time for me to get my thoughts together on our way home and ended up at a cute, 50’s style diner. 

“Chocolate is actually really gross,” Natalie teases, pointing to my milkshake. 

“Well, it’s a good thing you’re not the one drinking it.” We’re laughing, but Natalie stops when two boys enter the building. One with red hair and one with brown. 

“Hey, Natalie! Didn’t think I’d ever see you again, ” the brown haired guy says standing a little too close to her. She looks weak, which is not a look I’ve ever seen her have. Normally she’s strong and confident. Who is this guy, anyway?

“Neither did I. Let’s go,” she says while pulling me out the door. As I look back, I see the two guys high-five each other.

“Natalie, who was that,” I ask when we’re back in the car. The key is in the ignition, but the car hasn’t been started. She’s sitting there, both hands on the steering wheel, staring straight ahead. Then, she starts to cry.

I have no idea what to do considering Natalie hardly cries. I decide that it’s best to just sit there and let her cry. It sounds awful I know, but sometimes people just need time. Sometimes, it’s best not to acknowledge their walls breaking. She wipes her eyes with the palms of her hands and then speaks.

“That was Mason. I slept with him at a party last week. We spent the whole day after together. He told me he loved me, and then when I left, he didn’t call. It sounds stupid, I know, but,” she says all of this in a rush, never finishing her sentence. The car is started, she looks at me and smiles, the normal twinkle in her eyes before driving back towards my house. I’m honestly more surprised that she’s so affected by this than her sleeping with Mason. She hooks up with guys at parties all the time. He didn’t love her and she knows it, so maybe she just doesn’t like to be lied to.

I find myself sitting on the roof outside of my bedroom window after being dropped off by Natalie. June used to sit out here with me, and we would people watch or talk about random things. She was always there to listen. I miss her so much it hurts, and I want to cry so badly but I can’t. It’s like I literally have no tears left in me. I just keep thinking about her in the back of the car, pill bottle lying on the floor. She was cold.

“Why are you on the roof,” I hear someone yell. It’s Harry, standing in my backyard, wearing a blue flannel. 

“Why do you care,” I call back. He smiles. 

“Niall told me you wanted to talk, so I came over. Come down,” he says, motioning with his hand.

“Okay. Hold on.” I climb through the window and close it behind me. Harry’s leaning against the side of my house with his hands behind his back when I open the back door. He’s charming even though his attire says otherwise. The scuffed boots, skinny jeans, rolled up flannel, all lead to the cheeky smile plastered on his face. 

“Hi,” he says.

“Um, hey.”

“How’d you find me,” he asks, running a hand through his hair. He has a cross tattooed above his thumb.

“That’s not important. Tell me what I don’t know about my sister.”

“Hey, no fair. I answer your question if you answer mine.” I fight the urge to smack the stupid smile from his lips.

“Fine,” I groan, rolling my eyes. “I found a receipt in June’s room that had your name on it. It was from the record store.”

“June is better at beer pong than anyone I’ve ever met,” he says flatly. 

“You’re joking, right?” He has to be joking. June doesn’t drink. Plus, that’s not the kind of information I wanted.

“No, I’m serious. I know a lot of people, and she’s the best.” We’re sitting beside each other now, and I can smell him again. Mint. He still smells like mint.

“Can I tell you something,” I ask slowly. I don’t know why I trust him, but I do. He seems like someone with a huge heart. Like he would never hurt a fly.

“Of course.” His accent is slow and intoxicating. 

“I want to spread June’s ashes in the Pacific ocean.” At that, his eyes light up.

“That would be lovely,” he says. 

“Because she always wanted to go to California and see the Pacific ocean. It feels right.”

“Yes! She always talked about the west coast.” He’s nodding now, his brows together in deep thought.

I’m shocked that June talked about her dreams with him, but there’s a lot I don’t know about her apparently. There are so many questions that I’m longing to find the answers to. Then a thought hits me, did her and Harry have a relationship? What if they dated? This completely baffles me and I’m scared to know the answer, but I want to ask. Harry’s still in deep thought, and I’m about to ask, then…

“I want to go with you,” he announces.

+++++

MIDNIGHT MEMORIES VIDEO WAS AMAZING EVEN THOUGH WE DIDN'T BREAK THE RECORD. I HOPE YOU'RE ALL DOING LOVELY. I HAVE A LOT OF PLANS FOR THIS BOOK SO PLEASE SHARE. THANKS, ILY :)