Chapter 3

I push past the humans in black, climb the stairs, and slam the door to my room. 

“You didn’t even know her.”

How could he say that? She was my sister! I knew her better than most people. I didn’t get his name. I can’t get payback unless I know his name. My window is open, so I look out into the backyard. He’s still there. I should go back down there and tell him how much of an ass he is. I shouldn’t have ran away in the first place, so I decide to tell him exactly what I think and retreat downstairs. 

“Who the hell do you think you are,” I shout as soon as the side door shuts behind me. He’s standing in the middle of the yard looking at a flower. A single flower. He looks up.

“What,” he says smirking. 

“She was my sister, you ass. I know more about her than you ever did,” I shout again.

“Your sister, eh?” The smirk is gone. That’s what I thought.

“Yes,” I am now standing directly in front of him. He smells like mint and fabric softener. 

“Well, love, it doesn’t seem like you knew her as well as you think,” he responds quietly. He turns and walks into the house. 

I still didn’t get his name, so I follow him. There’s too many people in this house, and I fight back the urge to tell them all to get out. Where is my mother? Or even a familiar face? I see him grabbing a glass of lemonade from a table set up in the living room. He chugs the entire glass and turns to exit, waving goodbye to Louis on his way to the door. How does he know Louis? Thankfully, I catch up to him before he opens the front door.

“What’s your name,” I ask. He stops.

“Harry Styles,” he says, and with that, he leaves. 

+

Natalie stays the night. I didn’t want to be left alone with my sobbing mother and my Jesus crazed aunt. Aunt Helen has been living here since June’s passing so she can “take care” of my mother. I’m thankful that she’s here since my father is too busy with his new wife to care about the emotional state of his first wife. My parents divorced three years ago. The year I started high school. My dad swears he met Carmen after him and Mom got divorced, but the fact that she works in his office, and he always came home late says otherwise. June never seemed affected by the divorce, but it devastated me. I didn’t talk to anyone except June for a month. It baffles me how two people could be so incredibly in love, care for one another everyday, and then just throw it all away. 

I look up through the dark at the ceiling. Natalie’s snoring lightly next to me, and I can hear a dog barking outside. Next thing I know, I’m standing outside of June’s old room. My hand is resting on the cold, golden doorknob, and my feet are glued to the floor. As much as I want to go in, I can’t bring myself to turn the knob. I take a deep breath and push the door open. A cold rush of wind blows across my face, rushing down the hallway behind me. Of course the lights are off, but, for some reason, I thought the room would be illuminated. Once I’m inside, I take a long time to pace around the room, occasionally touching various objects, and looking through her closet. I make my way over to the bed where there’s a brown paper bag sitting alongside one of June’s running jackets.

The bag makes a crunching noise when I pick it up, which causes me to cringe because I’ve disrupted the silence. A CD case falls out of the bag with a little receipt floating down after it. The CD is a mixed tape with Latin scrolled on it. I have no idea what it says, but the receipt is what intrigues me. Picking it up between my fingers, I look at the name of the business. Some record store. Why would June be at a record store? She’s never been into music much, and her idea of a playlist consists solely of top 40’s. Squinting my eyes in the light from a lamp, I see the cashiers name and almost puke.

+++++

Hi, sorry for taking so long on Chapter 3. I've been sick for like a week plus I had to get it edited. I'll try to be more frequent with the updates. Remember to comment, vote, and share! :)