Chapter 16

It's been a week since I called Luke after the party, and we have been talking to each other a lot since then. I really like talking to him, he is so easy to talk to and he is helping me figure things out. I am starting to get cold feet about this plan. Why? I really like Luke.

I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket, and I immediately know who it is. I hit the answer button and Luke's voice comes through the speaker. 

"Cass?" He asked me. His voice sounded like it was shaking a little bit.

"Yep. Its me. Everything okay? You sound upset," I asked him, worried that he was mad or something. 

"Oh yeah everything's fine, I'm just kind of nervous," He said. 

"Why are you nervous?" I asked him, confused. Was I missing something?

"Uh..have you gotten anything special at your door today?" He asked. Okay, I am definitely missing something. 

Right when he said that, there was a knock on the door. I walked over to my door and opened it. 

There was nobody there. Probably those annoying kids again that live down the hall playing  that stupid game, which involves knocking on someone's door then running away. As I was about to turn around, something caught my eye.

On the ugly old 'Welcome' mat that my mom insisted on keeping at the front door (which made no sense because we live in a condo), was a box. 

I picked it up and carried it to the kitchen, locking the door behind me. Luke was still on the other end of my phone.

"Um Luke, how did you know I would receive a package at my front door today?" I asked, even more confused than I was before. 

"Just open the box Cassidy," I heard Luke say. 

"Fine, just give me a sec," I put my phone down on the counter, and then peeled the lid of the box off. 

I was shocked at what I saw inside of the box; they were yellow carnations, my favourite flower. 

I didn't know what to say. How did Luke know? I mean I mentioned it in my first '25 Facts About Me' video that I did nearly two years ago. Did Luke really remember?

I picked up the flower arrangement and placed it on my counter. I suddenly became aware of a note sitting in the bottom of the box. 

I picked up the note and unfolded it, Inside I saw, In Luke's scribbly writing:

In case you need reminding, you are amazing

I felt butterflies in the pit of my stomach. I was suddenly interrupted by the realization that Luke was waiting on the other end of the phone. 

I picked my phone and pressed it to my ear.

"Wow.'' I said, feeling lost for words. 

"Do you like them?" He asked me? 

"Yeah, they're beautiful. I just have one question, how did you know that yellow carnations were my favourite flower?" 

"I did my research," Luke replied. I could just imagine the smug smile that he had on his face as he said that. 

I let out a little giggle and began to speak again, "Well thank you for the flowers and the note Luke, it must have cost you a fortune to get them sent all the way from LA!"

"Don't worry about it. I promised I would always be there for you. You're worth it." My stomach did backflips at his words. 

"I really hate to end the call, but I have to go. Thanks again for the flowers. Bye." I hung up the phone and placed it on the counter.