CHAPTER 18: Goodbye

~Jaejoong’s POV~

“Keep that on.” I ordered Kyoung Mi when she started unwrapping her wrist with the bandage. “

“It’s so tight.” She complained.

I rolled my eyes. “You should have told me when I wrapped it this morning.”

We were in DBSK’s practice room for the last round of rehearsals before our global concert. The others were slumped on their seats after we sang and danced to 15 songs continuously. Kyoung Mi and I were sitting on the floor in the corner.

“Does it still hurt?” I asked.

“Ani.” She’s grown soft towards me. I was thankful that she forgot about what I said the other night, or else she would be flooding me with questions about her dad and Lee Jun.

“You sure?” I squeezed her wrist lightly and she flinched. “It still hurts.” I said.

She sighed and sat back on the wall. “I hate having bandages. I feel weak.”

“Then you shouldn’t have cut your wrist like that.” I said sternly. When I was finished adjusting her bandage, I sat beside her, leaned my head back and closed my eyes.

“You’re tired.” She said softly. I loved hearing the concern in her voice.

“I’m fine.” I said through a deep breath. I felt something cold touch my cheek. I opened my eyes and saw her wiping my face with a wet towel.

“Don’t let the sweat stay on your face for too long.” She said.

I smiled and closed my eyes again, letting her wipe my face, my neck, then my arms.

“You’re suddenly nice.” I teased, expecting her to punch me on my arm, but she was silent. I peeked at her. Her head was bowed. “Hey.” I lifted her chin with my fingers and looked into her eyes full of sadness.

“I just realized that I have been too cruel towards you. I shouldn’t have acted like that.” She said without looking back at me. “I-I-I’m so sorry, Jaejoong.” She bit on her lower lip as tears welled up in her eyes.

“Hey, hey.” I wiped the first tear that dropped from her eye and rubbed her cheek with my thumb. “It’s all right. It was my fault anyway. I always teased and pissed you off. Don’t worry.”

She gave me a soft smile and did something I never thought she would do when she’s perfectly awake and alert. She rested her head on my chest and wrapped her arms around my body.

“Why is it that I always feel safe when I’m with you, Jae?” She asked in a soft voice.

My heart beat crazily 10 times its normal pace. Is she really hugging me? Did she just call me Jae? I was reluctant to hug her back in case she would pull away from my touch, but I couldn’t help it. I wrapped one of my arms around her shoulders and the other around her waist. She was silent as I rubbed her arms and back. Her arms would eventually tighten around me, and she would often turn her head.

“Is something bothering you?” I finally asked.

She shook her head.

“Then why are you suddenly. . . different?”

She gave a shaky laugh and rested her face in my neck.

Oh my god, her breath!My heart beat 50 times faster!

She transferred her arms around my neck.

“Kyoung Mi—“

“Just let me hug you, Jae.”