The Diamond Ring

15/04/14

For days I sat in my bedroom, just staring at the dull walls. As soon as I returned home that fatal day all I did was collapse onto my bed and lay there. I laid there for days, I didn't eat or drink anything! I didn't bother to turn on the lights and I don't even know if I went to sleep or not, I'd buried my head into the duvet so all I could see was black.

After a week I couldn't torture myself any longer. People had been banging on the front door for days! Most likely to be long lost relatives who want to sympathise fakely with me. I would be sick at the sight of them! They couldn't just ignore us when we were fine and comfort us when we were down, well I say us... It was only me then. When the police arrived they didn't wait any longer, their patience was very little, they barged through the front door. I was sitting on the sofa, looking at through the gap in the drapes. I'd forgotten what it was like to smile, my expression had been the same since...

"Mia?" They asked. I didn't look at them, just simply jolted my head back and forth and posed it as a nod. Nothing made sense to me now, I'd forgotten how to even nod! Anyways, they told me what had happened. They sensed that I knew he was up to something because when they first starting talking about it I made eye contact. They told me that he'd been working late shifts for a mob leader-a modern day gangster as such. He did whatever they told him to do, they'd been in touch before when they offered him a job as their slave, but he denied any sort of part in that type of business. But Jake went grovelling back to them, begged for a job. You see he must've been in need of some extra cash, they told me. As soon as they said this I gasped.

"The Diamond Ring" I breathed. I now understood everything clearly now, he'd been getting battered and assaulted and what not because he was working as their little 'run around'! He used the money to buy the Ring and... "So they were his murders?!" I questioned. The male policeman in front of me nodded his head gently. "We'll why did they kill him?!" I demanded answers. The policeman inhaled deeply and leaned forwards.

"You see ma'am your fiancé..." I looked at him with traumatised eyes. Was he my fiancé? He cleared his throat "jake quit his job that day and told them he needn't the extra income anymore, nothing rude but.. They didn't take it quite so well..." My nostrils flared.

"Where are they? Are they locked up? Have you thrown away the key? I want to see them!" I stood up and rushed to the door where a policewoman was leaning against the door frame. She restricted me and put her hands on my weak shoulders.

"Ma'am?" I looked Ito her lively eyes, a deep oceanic blue. It complemented her pale complex, I tried to smile.

"You have lovely eyes" I whispered, she smiled politely.

"I know this is hard but-" I shrugged her off and made my way back to the sofa, her sympathising just made matters worse.

"Just go, you've said what you want to say...just go... I plead you" I leaned back into the rugged sofa and curled up into a ball. The front door closed after a few minutes and I returned to my loveless, lifeless excuse of a life.