❄️Chapter 3❄️

❄️Back To Shawn's POV❄️

It was nearing the end of my shift, the usual time that I go home and take a shower, eat dinner, brush my teeth.. And go.. To.. Be- Oh crap. I forgot about Ruby! I hope she's okay!

I glanced at the watch I was wearing eagerly as I bounced slightly on my feet in impatience.

"Dude, what's got you in knots?" Hannah, who walked over, asked. She had on an apron with a hot cup of coffee held in her hands.

"I...kind of forgot about Ruby." I tell her, awkwardly.

Her eyes widened slightly but her expression didn't change any other way. "Well.. Then let's go! Just tell da' boss what's goin' on!" She exclaims, grabbing my arm after quickly setting her mug down and pulled me along to the flap-door.. Thing. I never really knew what those things were called.

I looked at her as if she was crazy. "I can't do that! What do you think he'll say!? Maybe 'oh it's alright! Go help your little doggy!' Yeah, I don't think so!" I said barely loud enough to where I would be yelling.

I sighed loudly, running a hand through my hair and pinching the bridge of my nose.

"No! Tell him, 'I just got a new dog and I'm pretty new at taking care of her, so would you be so kind as to let me go home early?' And he'll probably be perfectly fine with it all!" She exclaimed reassuringly.

I shook my head and huffed silently, "That won't work Han! Ya know why? Cus he won't just let us do whatever the heck we want! Besides, he'll just tell me that owning a dog is a big responsibility  and that I shouldn't even have gotten him in the first place. And also, by the time we're done arguing with him, my shift will be done. And wether we like it or not, I probably won't be able to get home until even later than the end of my shift!"

"Fine, have it your way. Let your dog die of... Starvation." Hannah said sassily.

"Hannah, do you really think I'd forget to feed my dog? I'm not that stupid."

"Sometimes you are.." She said, loud enough for me to hear.

"Oh shut up, I didn't this time. It's 3:28 and my shift ends at 3:30. See? It's not that long." I told her, raising my eyebrows in amusement as she rolled her eyes and stomped off to her coffee.

"I'm getting this to go." She said seriously, pouring it in a to-go cup.

"3:29."

"I three-ly don't care." She mumbled, glancing at me.

"You seriously didn't just say that-"

"I said it."

"Would you stop being so-"

"Rude?"

"Yeah-"

"Well maybe I'll stop when you sto-"

"3:30!" I almost screamed, shoving my apron off and hanging it on the wall as I shot off through the door and out the building.

I ran outside and towards Hannah's Grand Jeep Cherokee, waiting for Hannah to come bursting through the doors too.

You see, she drives me to work, always. She comes in the mornings, waiting for me in the car, then we go to work, and then after that, we either eat dinner together, hang out, or she just drops me off.

A door opening and closing causes me to stop daydreaming about nothing and look towards the direction it came from.

"Finally," I mumbled, looking at the sidewalk when she gave me a glare.

Hannah started the car and we pulled out of the parking lot, driving through the streets of town as quickly (with the speed limit and all) as we could.

Finally, after about 2 minutes of non stop red lights, we made it to my apartment complex and she let me out while she followed.

I ran up the stairs as quickly as I could and once I reached the top, I froze. The door was open, the mat was flipped over from where the second key was underneath. And I noticed that there was glass shattered all over the inside.

I held my breath as Hannah slowly came up the stairs, looking at me with a confused look.

I looked back at her with my own confused look and waited until she was about two steps away from the top till I actually started to push the rest of the door open and stepped inside the trashed apartment slowly.

"Ruby?" I called when I noticed the apartment had been deserted. The couch looked as if it had been slightly moved, but also not?

When I got no answer from the little Husky, fear filled inside me and I shuttered at the thought of the puppy being alone.

She was only a puppy, she couldn't defend herself!

"Oh no..." Hannah whispered, looking at the gingerbread man, slimily bitten and laying deserted on the floor.

"Who do you think did this?" She looked at me with a slightly scared look. A look I hadn't seen on her face ever since she was a child.

I shrugged a reply and ran a hand through my hair, groaning lightly. It was my responsibility to take care of her, and it's already been a day and now she's gone, already! I'm a terrible owner!

"-nd we should start with the police. Shawn. Shawn? Are you even listening to me?" Hannah's voice broke my thoughts and I shot my head up to look at her, glancing to the  side before nodding slightly.

"Police, yeah. Let's start with them... Why?" I trailed off, chuckling nervously.

Hannah sighed, smiling small and placing her hand on my shoulder. "Ruby. Your apartment. Ring any bells, mista'?"

I rolled my eyes and shrugged her hand off, "Yeah, yeah, whatever. Let's go!" And we both darted out through the doorway. Me, of course not forgetting to pick up the little gingerbread man as I ran through the door way.

I sighed, looking down at the gingerbread man, "We'll find you Ruby, that's a promise.."