Chapter 6: A Small Taste of Freedom

Elron woke up. He blinked once. His head felt weird, a good weird, but weird all the same. He got up. He had been sleeping on the floor, for some odd reason. He stretched, feeling his joints crack. 

'I'm never sleeping on the floor again,' he thought.

A delicous smell floated through the air. He towards the smell and saw a deer carcass on the floor, covering it in a bloody mess. Elron felt his belly rumble. Even though he had eaten just two days ago he was starving. He walked up to the carcass and devoured it ravenously. 

Once he had finished he looked over at Scarlet's cage. She was asleep on the floor. Elron could tell it wasn't night, it was probably mid morning. He walked over to the edge of the stall.

"Scarlet," he said, looking at her.

She sturred slightly.

"Scarlet!" he yelled.

Scarlet shot up from her nest, "Elron?"

"Oh, good, your awake," he said.

Scarlet shook her head, then yawned, "What time is it?"

"I don't know, but I'm guessing mid morning," said Elron.

Scarlet nodded, seemingly unsurprised, "That seems about right."

Elron tilted his head to one side, "You slept in."

Scarlet yawned again, "Well I did stay awake for a long time last night, especially after I heard you roar that night."

"Me... roar?" he said confused, then he remembered, "Oh yeah, when I was trying to pull that thing off."

Scarlet nodded her head, "And it seems to have worked, slightly anyway."

"Really?"

She nodded her head, "When you tilt your head it makes the slightest movement, and when I look close enough I can see a slight tilt in it."

"Will the humans notice?" asked Elron.

"Only if they're really vigilaint," said Scarlet, "And not many are, just watch out for those secret agent type guys, and the better dragon riders, those are usually the more vigilaint humans."

Elron nodded, "I'll try my best, though I probably don't have much choice in who I meet."

Scarlet laughed, "Yeah. Well then, good luck."

"Thanks," replied Elron.

They conitnued to talk about other things until Elron heard his name being called, this time it was for something else.

"Elron," said the voice from the speekers, "You are to report to the mission dock ASAP."

Elron nodded his head, and got up.

"You know," he said, "I feel better then I have been in a long time, and I mean a very long time."

Scarlet smiled, "You would, that thing doesn't have as much control over you know. Hey, when you get back from your mission could you try pulling mine off."

Elron nodded, "I'll try."

WIth that he began to walk down the hallway. The device usually told him where to go but now he had to focus really hard on it for it to be able to tell him anything. 

'I wonder if it's actually broken," thought Elron, 'I'll test it out next human I see.'

He rounded a corner and saw a human standing there. It was a male scientist, and he seemed to be walking back the way he had come. As he passed Elron attempted to smash the human with his claw, but before he could his muscles seemed to get parralized for a second. He kept walking, the human not even noticing what had just happened.