Chapter Four

My throat hurt when I woke up. But I wasn’t in that room. It could be felt that there was a pillow under my head, a blanket over me. Taking some deep breaths, I opened my eyes. I was in a enormous room, not smaller than the whole of grandma’s house.

Sitting up, I looked down at my own self. I was wearing a midnight blue gown, made of the finest silk. I was okay, but i was afraid that someone was going to try to kill me again.

The room was circular, with floors carpeted with black velvet and wallpaper of white velvet. It was a modernised room, but had a hint of antiquity from the paintings all around. the eastern side of the room had a kind of raised platform, and panorama windows. I could see myself standing there, drinking coffee and looking at the view, considering if I was going to stay there long enough, or even live long enough, seeing the past two days. Back to reality, I left the bed, and walked up to the room, turning my back at the western end of the room, which had a leather couch and a low table.

Pushing the curtains aside, I saw the night sky, dressed in bright stars. Time was a stranger. There were small hills that could be spotted from where I was.

I looked around, and saw smaller doors, which  supposedly belonged to the bathroom, as the doors to the room were exactly opposite to the bed, and these were the entrance to a kind of partitioned room.

Opening them, I was startled to see my reflection. She was wearing a white knee-length flowing dress, her black hair combed, and her olive skin near perfection, as usual.

The closet was filled. It was a girl’s paradise. Clothes, shoes, jewellery, everything. Imagine being presented all the things you ever had on your wishlist. That was exactly how I felt standing on the threshold.

‘I see you’re awake.’ A man spoke. He was middle aged, with a grave expression.

I couldn’t reply.

‘I’m Ledon Rosten. The present council President,’ He said to me. ‘I am aware that you do not understand what is going on here, but that will be explained when you arrive in the Red Room in the top floor of the official building,’ he paused for a moment. ‘I expect you to reach there in half an hour.’  He stopped.

The man was going to leave, but he turned to tell me, ‘Whatever you have here in this room, belongs to you. Feel free.’

                                                                          ***

I looked around the closet to find something ‘okay’ to wear, and found it in the “casual” section. A red top and black jeans, with a half-length leather jacket. It would’ve been quite normal for anyone to be frightened and terrified if things like what happened to me occurred to them but I healed quickly. Mentally and physically, and I couldn’t let bad things take away the good. I had to go on. Just as the heart went back to beating at its normal rate after a disturbance, just as the wind calmed down after whatever violence it created, I went back to normality quickly. Besides, someone once said,  “If you go down, then go down in style.”