16. Meredith

"Alright, what the hell was that?" Calum shouted at me from the passenger seat.

The car became silent as they waited for me to answer. I looked down at my hands, I can't believe I was afraid to tell them what I'd done.

"Ellie!" He shouted at me again.

"Alright! I was in the bathroom and Ronnie came in, she attacked me, and she was working for Alex, so I had to- I just- I killed her." I snapped back.

The silence filled the car again. They were shocked, but I don't know why. I thought they knew what they were dealing with.

Michael smiled at me through his rearview mirror.

"That's so badass, man. What did you do? Pop her eyes out? Blood boil?" He surprised me with his approval.

Calum punched his arm,

"Michael!"

"What? If we're gonna protect her from Alex, we're gonna need a secret weapon." Michael argued.

"I didn't know you had that in you!" Ashton patted my back.

"Me either." I say under my breath.

I start to loosen up to feel good about myself for once. But I know I probably shouldn't get too comfortable with killing people.

"Um, Michael? What are you doing? We're supposed to be going to the Merriot next." Luke finally spoke up.

"No, I have a different idea." Michael said deviously.

"We're going to Meredith's" he stated.

The boys all shouted at once, "What?!"

Leaving me out of the loop, yet again.

"Who's Meredith?" I ask.

"Oh, she's an old friend, isn't that right, Ashton?" Michael answers.

I see Ashton roll his eyes and runs his hand through his hair, I'm guessing she's an old flame,more than a friend.

~~~

The whole way there the boys argue with Michael for bringing them here. We pulled up to a a small house that was separated from the rest. It seemed more like a cottage than a house. All of us unloaded our stuff from the car and Ashton led us to her front door. He hesitated before knocking, he probably hated Michael for this.

The door opened and there she stood with one hand holding a plastic red cup and the other on her hip. Music blasting in the background, she took a drink from her cup, her eyes not leaving Ashton's. I could see why he might have liked her, blonde hair, pretty blue eyes, she wasn't wearing any make up and she still looked good.

"Well look who it is, Ashton Irwin." She took another sip from her cup.

"And you brought the whole gang with you. Hey guys." She looked to the boys and took a second glance at me.

They all replied with a monotone "hey"

"Who's the girl." She asked, pointing to me.

"Let us in and we'll explain everything."

She looked at me then back to Ashton, moving aside to let us in. The boys walked into her house, with their heads hung, except for Michael, who was wearing his usual smug expression. They acted like the we're heading into certain death, Meredith didn't seem that bad. But I guess I don't really know her.

We all crammed in on her tiny little couch and she took a seat on a rocking chair in the corner. The inside of her house looked like she had just thrown a wild party, plastic cups everywhere, pieces of unfinished food, some furniture was knocked down, The smell of alcohol lingered on the couch we sat on.

"Jesus, Mere, would it kill ya to clean up a little." Ashton said, taking in the sight.

"I wasn't expecting company." She barked back. She took a pause before looking to me,

"So why are you here anyway?"

Her eyes looking me up and down, searching for something.

"This is Ellie Peterson. I'm sure you've heard the name before." Ashton introduced me.

"You remember Alex Worrall, don't you?" Luke interrupted. "Well, Alex is after us because Ellie, just so happens to be super witch. Alex wants to kill her,we're protecting her.

"Oh, so that's why he stopped by." She said in realization.

"You better hope he doesn't get his hands on her."

None of this was making me feel better. I was starting to regret coming here.

"Alright, enough chit chat." Michael finally cut in, "Listen, Meredith, We need a place to crash. We came here because we know we can trust you."

She took another sip from her drink, then paused, like she was thinking about it for a moment.

"You know you're always welcome." She smiled.