1- The Purge

"It'll be okay. As long as we say we're pure, we'll be fine. We don't have the resources to have a device to tell who really is and isn't. We'll be okay."

My father spoke softly, his voice reassuring. Ever since the last remaining leader of Earth declared that only that 'pure' should live, we haven't left our home. My dad thinks that if you say we're pure, they'll believe us. So far, it's worked.

Shaking her head, I notice my mother's tear stained face. We can't live here forever- we have barely enough food to last the week- but how can we leave until we know we won't get killed?

"Mom?" I whisper, my voice tense, "It's gonna be alright."

"No," I mother says, looking up at me, her blue eyes full of tears, "Not for long. Not for long." She repeats. 

I stop talking, burying my face into my knee's, consumed by darkness. She's right, and, even though I don't want to believe it, I know it's true. We're going to die, and soon.

***

When I wake up, a flicker of light catches my attention. Dad boarded up the door and windows a long time ago and stuffed spare blankets under the door and covered up any cracks to keep the outside world out. But, the blanket that is under the door has shifted, and a glimmer of a light moves back and forth.

A flashlight.

I don't move, don't breath. All I can think is that it's over. I'm going to die right here, right now. If I say anything to my parents right now, we'll be done for sure. I just have to hope that they think this house is abandoned and they move on to the next house.

But they don't. The flashlight leaves, shimmering over the windows, and I see the form of a human. They know we're here. They know we're hiding here. They're going to kill us.

Then, the door slams down.

"Get up now!" A voice booms, and the room explodes with bright lights, "NOW!" The voice screams, snapping me to attention, "You need to be scanned!"

No. Scanning means they're searching for the un-pure. Scanning means that we're dead already. Before everything went to hell, the remaining leader released one last announcement: 'to save the human race, all un-pure humans must be killed. The pure our, our last hope for survival. Trust us."

Yea, trust you people, great idea.

"Stand up or we'll shoot!" The voice calls again, and several people- who look like guards- hold up their guns, aiming them at our heads. I stand up slowly, lips pressed, and wait for my parents to do the same.

My mom comes up second, then my sister, both grasping each other's hand. My dad is still, frozen in fear or he just won't get up.

"You have three seconds." The voice says, his tone hollow, "Three...." 

"Dad!" I protest, "stand up!"

"Two..."

"Stand up." I plead, my voice shaking.

The man takes a deep breath, shaking his head as if to say, 'I gave you a warning, old man. Listen to people for once. Stupid, stupid old man'

Then, the guy in charge flicks his wrist, and all of the guns fall on my fathers forehead, and his head explodes.

***

-A.N-

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Umm, I guess we'll see where this story goes, but I don't know if I'm going to continue it or not. The next chapter, chapter 2, is taking place two years after this event, when she's eighteen. 

Comment if you notice any errors or, if you like this chapter, vote!