Chapter 2

Later on that evening I got a text from Zayn: ‘Hey, Skye, i was wondering if you wanted to go to a party with me later on? and dont worry, there will be other girls from school that you will know! :)’

I think about whether I should reply honestly or pretend I know lots of other girls at my school so I go with ‘I don’t really know anyone from school....’ I send the message and within half a moment Zayn replies.

‘Well, I’ll introduce you to some then. So? Are you in? XD’ His use of smiley faces makes me think. I blog. I don’t text. I don’t IM… I don’t even use this damn cellphone except for the multiple occasions when my mum or dad forgets to pick me up from school and even then I called someone, like a close relative or something I didn’t text anyone. But I am a teenager. I know what smiley faces are. But I can’t help but picture his smile as I stare at the ever present simplicity of the smiley face he sent me. And I guess that’s what shoved me off the fence and onto the side that said GO TO THE PARTY!

‘Alright. I’ll go but you’re not aloud to leave me alone with anyone. I’m bad with human interaction’ As I send the message I stand and move so that I’m looking into my small closet. I had a friend, in new york from the last time my parents dragged me along with them. She took me shopping for an entire day. I hate shopping. Mostly because of what I had to endure with her, which was terribly traumatic. My phone chimes with a message from zayn.

‘YES! I’ll pick you up whenever you’re ready, love! Where something pretty! ;)’ A fucking winky face Malik? Do you have any idea what that did to the butterflies you’d already placed firmly and stubbornly in my stomach? They were practicing acrobatics now! Despite the turns and twists that seemed to be taking place in my stomach I replied:

‘I’ll try my best...’ I send the message and throw my phone onto my bed. When I was shopping in new york that girl I can’t even remember the name of had me buy four or five dresses. I hadn’t worn any until now and I thought it’d be the perfect time to try one, but when I found all of the dresses and none of them were going to reach past the top of my thigh, I almost gave up. But then, I’d decided, it was one of the butterflies that disable some of my brain function when I chose a dress. The cold silk didn’t cover my back and the loose scrunched up material wrapped around my thighs. It was an odd shade of blue that was almost purple. I picked up my black toms and texted Zayn before I put them on. I decided my straight hair was enough but pulled half of it back in two small braids and used clips to pin them to the back of my head.

Zayn texted me a few minutes after I told him I was ready. ‘I’m on my way! :)’ I decide his text doesn’t need a reply and it’s almost 11 o’clock, my parents are sleeping. I don’t need to tell them where I’m going. Tomorrow is saturday and it’s not like there was a chance I wouldn’t return. I wait in the living room for Zayn to arrive. I don’t remember telling him about not telling my parents about the party but he walks up to the front door and knocks quietly. I open the door and quickly step outside.

Zayn’s in a maroon letterman’s jacket and black skinny jeans with his Jimi Hendrix t-shirt and high tops. It’s so similar to what he wore to school I almost retreat back into my house but Zayn see’s the panic in my expression and quickly says “You look so beautiful!” He smirks down at me. The top of my head barely reaches his collar bone. He puts his hand under my elbow and slowly guides me toward his car where he opens and closes the door for me. I feel kind of awkward because of the way I’d acted when I’d first been in the car with him, pressed up against him crying, like I’d known him for years. But he didn’t seem to feel awkward at all he’d glance at me every now and then, smile quickly and say something like ‘Bored?’ or ‘It’s not to far now.’ but I’d just shake my head or smile back.

Once we get to the party, Zayn gets out first and walks around the front of his truck to open my door, swiftly, before I have a chance to open it myself. I step out of the car and we walk toward the door, closely behind Zayn. As we get to the heavy wooden door, I nudge Zayn’s side, prompting him to knock. He knew what I meant and did so. During our first steps inside, I didn’t look where we were going, I was just admiring the beautiful house with high ceilings, dark wooden planked floors, and paintings everywhere of some people that I didn’t know.

We heard lots of people laughing and talking so we walked toward the voices and came to a massive room full of people, I whispered jokingly to Zayn, “So, this is where the party’s at.”. Together, me and Zayn walked toward a small group of about six people. There were three guys and three girls. One of the boys had curly dark hair and very obvious dimples wearing a dark t-shirt with darker skinny jeans, Harry, another had light brown hair and was very muscular wearing plaid button up shirt, Liam, the other boy also had brown hair but was smaller wearing faded skinny jeans and a striped t-shirt, Louis.

Zayn introduced me to all three boys and let liam introduce me to the girls as Louis started to joke around with Zayn. One of the girls had long blond hair, curled, and was wearing a dress about the same length as mine but it was a pastel pink color with brown sandals, that was Mehgan. The second girl had dyed brownish-red hair and was wearing bluish-green skinny jeans, a purple V-neck t-shirt and thin framed glasses, Grace. The third had plain straight brown hair and was wearing a plain short straight black dress, Skyler.

Once Zayn and liam had introduced everyone, I started talking to Mehgan, about almost anything, but I started to get a bit tired so I thought maybe Zayn wouldn’t mind taking me home, but when I turned around to look for Zayn he was no longer where he’d been, it was the one thing I feared most when I agreed to come to this party, and that was Zayn leaving my side, which he had just done. ‘What do I do now?’ thoughts ran through my mind, so I just slowly crept outside where there was even more of a party going on. ‘What was i gonna do now? I could never find Zayn in this mess!’’ I thought. As I turned around to go back inside, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a very cozy looking chair, so i decided to sit, look at the door and wait for Zayn to walk past. As time went by I slowly drifted to sleep, But I was awoken by Grace sitting next to me, she told me that I’d fallen asleep.

“Do you know where Zayn is?” I asked quickly. not caring much about my dozing off.

“Well, last time I saw him he was trying to get harry off the table.” She said nonchalantly, as if Harry’s table climbing was a regular thing. “But he’s probably looking for you.” She said with a smirk and a short laugh. I stood up quickly still a bit groggy from my very short nap. Grace tried to ask where I was going but I was already back inside the house. I saw Liam, a girl trying to stifle her laughter next to him, scowling at a couple I hadn’t seen before. A guy with blond hair wearing dark clothes and high tops and a girl wearing a short dark dress that belled out at the bottom with dark hair. I walked hastily toward them. The blond guy and the dark haired girl saw me before liam, the couple said something to liam that made him glance toward me and say something quickly.

“What was that?” I asked giving them a questioning look

“Well, hello to you to. I’m Niall this is my girlfriend Jennifer! We were just gonna go this way!” The blond boy said, grabbing his girlfriend's hand and walking away hastily. I repeat myself this time toward Liam who gives the girl next to him a look. Fear washes over me. ‘They don’t like me. I got to comfortable outside of my comfort zone and now even they think I’m a freak!’ I feel tears stinging the back of my eyes so I quickly start to walk away. RETREAT! is all I can think.