Chapter 5

I felt a pair of strong arms brought me away from the soft touch of the infirmary bed. I whimpered but it didn't bother me much, I snuggled comfortably and shifted as I fell in and out of consciousness. It was nightfall by the time we arrived at home, and I was in someone else's pair of arms, to which I could already recognize once I got out of the car. 

I didn't need to open my eyes to see where I am, the familiar creaking of the front door and the hushed tones of Lexie and Matt. I couldn't actually hear what they were saying, just because my sense of sight are unavailable, doesn't mean my sense of hearing are suddenly heightened. Somewhere between the lines of 'what happened' and 'okay, put him in bed Matt', and I felt Matt's strong hands handle me delicately.

I was moved to my bedroom, my body sunk into the bed and the AC was already blasting cold air as I was brought in. I just snuggled into my covers, as Matt whispered 'good night' before closing the door behind him and letting me sleep. It felt like hours but it had only been twenty minutes after I've been put to bed. I haven't eaten since lunch, and my stomach felt like it was being crushed in a grip. 

My eyes fluttered open to utter darkness, and I felt a jolt throughout my body because I wasn't used to being in the dark. Ironic, considering my whole life I've been surrounded by darkness. I haven't exactly been living the teenage dream. 

So I tiptoed my way out, slowly turning the knob and making sure the carpeted floor didn't creak as I walked out of my room. I approached the staircase, as I heard voices whisper and hiss from downstairs. I froze because I thought they were burglars, but then I recognized Christian's deep and stern, but calm voice. 

I heard my name; they must be talking about what happened. I appreciate the attention given by my family but I hate it; I've always been spoiled by my siblings all my life. I hate it. The conversation, I was overhearing, was peaceful with a little arguing at first. I sat down on the carpeted floor and leaned my head by the railings, spying on my family on their not-so-quiet conversation. I almost fell asleep, as my eyes were drooping but I woke up abruptly when I heard a fist in contact with a wall.

I suddenly heard more shouting. I put on my blue bunny slippers that were just outside my door and began to walk down the stairs to listen in on their conversation more closely. Lucky for me, the voices are becoming louder although hearing my family shouting was scary enough. "How could you let this happen to him Chris!?"

"It isn't his fault Matt..." Lexie tried soothing him. Sometimes when Matt gets so angry, Lexie calms him down, coaxes him to but rarely, he'd need to cool off on his own. "It isn't? Chris was the last person Dia saw, the last of us and he got hurt!" Matt kept shouting. 

"We can't all be there for him Matt, you have to know that!" Lexie shouted back. I could almost hear his heavy panting close to me, his deep breaths made me shiver and I was too scared to look at Matt now. He was really scaring me right now, has this been happening ever since I was admitted to the asylum?

"It was my fault, Matt..." a tiny voice said. I recognized it. My head shot up and looked past the railings downstairs and saw Katie looking down on the floor and three pairs of eyes looking at her. 

"Katie..." Christian protested but he was cut off. "My friend was mocking him, and I was arguing with her to stop it, but Dia ran before I had a chance to talk to him. I'm so sorry—" Her voice broke off and I thought something had happened to her. I couldn't see much past the railings, so I stood up and looked over the staircase. What I saw made me cry out; I saw Matt with his hand hovering; he was about to strike her. 

"Matt, NO!" I shouted with tears, as all four heads looked up towards me. I was already in tears as Christian run, in lightning speed, to get to where I was. I saw the look in Katie's eyes and she gave me a weak smile but I knew what's going to happen. Before I got the chance to say anything else, Christian appeared by my side and grabbed my shoulders. He pulled me close, into his embrace; hiding me from what's happening.