Chapter 9

Next chapter will have Louis' POV. I'm writing it now.

 Trailer on the sidebar. >>>>

Jessie's POV

"Has anyone seen Aria?" I asked as I stood in the back of the kitchen. It was almost closing and I was helping everyone clean up as we seemed to have been short staffed today for some reason. Most likely because of Aria and one of the cooks weren't here.

"I think Mr. McCoy said she was sick this morning." Zach responded while he mopped the floor around the work stations. I wasn't looking directly at him, but I knew he was staring at me in a way that felt as if he were studying me.

"I figured, but I was just making sure. Usually she wouldn't miss the full day of work and just come in at this time." I said quietly and began to wash the counters with a rag from the supply closet.

"You know, Jessie, I could take care of that for you. You don't have to help out back here." Zach said quietly.

I sighed and looked up at him. "Why would you want to do work for me?"

"Because you seem really stressed out right now about something, and it's not exactly your job to be back in the kitchen. Aren't you just a waitress?" He responded with a shrug and leaned forward slightly on the mop.

"Yes, but that doesn't mean I'm afraid to get my hands dirty and take one for the team every once in a while." I said quietly and I was a bit surprised because he hadn't even attempted to ask me about what was bothering me. "Kind of am, but I'm sure it'll be sorted out soon enough." I said quietly and sighed again. "But still, you don't have to clean up for me. My fiance won't be here to pick me up for about five minutes or so. And I want to work to clear my mind." I bit my lip and began moving the damp soapy rag over the counter to clean a mess of some kind of sauce.

"I know we've just met and all, but if you ever want to talk or vent things out to someone, you could always talk to me. I'm a listener and I don't like it whenever people keep things inside." Zach said quietly as he put his hand on top of mine.

I bit my lip harder as his skin came in contact with my own, and I vaguely thought about how much tanner he was than me, but I was quick to push the stupid thought away. I sighed quietly and looked up at him as I pulled my hand away. "Thanks Zach, but I'm kind of a private person. The only person I really talk about my problems to are either my older brother, my fiance, or my best friend Clarissa. We just met and I don't think we've gotten to be that close of friends in the short amount of time of you being here." I said quietly.

He smiled and nodded. "Sorry, I don't mean to make you uncomfortable. I just don't like making enemies because it's so much easier just to make friends with people."

I nodded slightly. "I understand, but could you please just...try not to be so close to me until we get to know each other better?" I couldn't believe I was finally able to ask him to do that. Last night I was thinking over and over that I didn't want to be mean, but here I was, flatly telling him to stay out of my business. It was almost enough to make me want to smile, but I held back because I still wanted to keep things serious.

Zach nodded and smiled again. "Sure. Sorry again for making you uncomfortable. I need to learn that boundaries are different for every person and not everyone is the same when it comes to talking to strangers." He chuckled.

I smiled lightly and glanced at the clock. "Anyway, I guess I'll see you on Tuesday or whenever you work after that. I'm off Sunday and Monday."

"I think I work Wednesday and tomorrow. I can't remember my whole schedule off the top of my head." He responded.