07

Madison lies wide-awake, staring at the clock on her bedside table. The arms on the clock face taunt her seemingly moving slower with every movement. Twelve o'clock she would finally give in, but she still had ten more minutes and they were the most painful ten minutes she had ever experienced. She tried to run through the plan in her head but if she truly was honest with herself it wasn't much of a plan and maybe if she weren't so eager to see what was outside she would've backed out completely just because of the shear stupidity it relied on. 

Six more minutes. Anxiety tightened in her chest, she felt hot and suddenly the blanket wrapped around her was too suffocating for her to have. But she held it even tighter around her body, clinging onto the sweat soaked sheets. Maybe going outside was the wrong thing to do; maybe it wasn't too late to back out. 

Three more minutes. No she had to do this. Otherwise her kids would have to deal with this and even more cranks would infest their home. Maybe she could fix this. 

One more minute. No- She had to fix this.

Immediately Madison ripped the covers from her bed. She was already fully dressed with her worn out blue jeans that she had managed to rip with age, a forest green pocket tee that was easy to move in and a black spray jacket that was warm and fleecy on the inside. She swept her hair up into a high ponytail and then began to pack her backpack. She stuffed two spare t-shirts, one pair of shorts and leggings, undergarments, toothpaste, a toothbrush and a hairbrush. By then her backpack was already three-quarters full. She paced over to her bedside table and unplugged her phone from her charger. She didn't bother to bring a charger; she didn't think there would be any power stations in the woods. She shoved the gadget into her pocket along with an old map that she had found at the local library. The town had guessed that they were in a country named 'Australia' as they had found maps scattered across the camp when they had first arrived. Madison was 'temporarily borrowing' it. She folded the map up and placed it in the inside of her jacket before lacing up her sneakers and swinging her backpack around her shoulders.

Madison crept into the kitchen, tip toeing on the noisy wooden floorboards only to find chuck raiding the pantry for snacks and canned food.

'Leave some for me will you?' Maddie whispered.

'I'll think about it,' Chuck replies smoothly. Madison rolled her eyes and continued to fill up the biggest water bottle she could find.

'Can you fill one up for me?' Chuck said.

'I'll think about it,' Maddie mocked. Chuck poked his tongue out at her but she only smiled sweetly.

'Real mature.' But Maddie grabbed another drink bottle anyway. 

Once they were packed with supplies and Chuck had finally given Madison a share of food they made their way out. Chuck opened the door carefully and gave Madison a mischievous look.

'You ready?' He challenged.

'There's only one way to find out,' Madison breathed. Chuck grinned and left, leaving Madison alone.

'I'm sorry,' She whispered as she looked over her childhood home. She closed the door.

This was it. 

A/N

I AM SO SORRY!!!

It feels like years since I have uploaded and I am so sorry that I haven't continued this story. I had a bit of a lack of motivation but I 've got my spark back people :) Plus I have a super long summer holiday so you might be seeing a lot more updates for the next few weeks!

Sorry for the short chapter I just wanted to show you guys I was still alive and writing. If anyone is reading this thank you for being super loyal and I love you so so much!

Please leave a comment or some feedback I would love to hear from you guys (even if I'll be scolded for my lack of chapters) 

Lots of Love- Hxx