Chapter 4

The doctors sent me home shortly after, telling me that the small explosion was just an accident probably caused from the vents. But I didn't believe them, I was sure that it, somehow, was caused by me. I didn't know how, I just knew that it was connected to me...

"You lay down now and I'll fix you some hot chocolate," Mari chirped, pulling my blankets up to my chest and fixing my pillows. "Just rest and relax." Then she left; the door clicked as it closed behind her and just then my phone dinged. I reached out and grabbed it off of my nightstand and turned it on to see that Kacey had just texted me. I rolled my eyes. Typical Kacey.

Just heard what happened. R u ok girl???

I smiled, touched at how worried she was about my health.

Yeah, im fine. U should be wrking right now.

It took her a minute for her to reply.

Fine. Tell me everything later?

Of course, I wouldn't tell her about the explosion. She would go insane about it, saying that I had superpowers and that I would become a superheroine and save the world from evil supervillains like Superman or Wonderwoman.

Sure. Do your work.

Ok.

Shortly after I had put my phone away it started ringing. Irritated, I grabbed it and answered it. "Hello?" I croaked.

"Hey, Cora."

"Elijah!" I sat up and held my phone close to my ear. "Hey, what's up?"

"You doing alright?" He asked, sounding worried and concerned. "Are you in any pain or discomfort? I have some extra pillows--"

"Elijah," I laughed, "I appreciate your concern and that you care about me comfortableness but I think I'm fine. Besides, you've never even been to my house before."

"I can find it," He said confidently. "Just give me the directions."

"Elijah I live in the woods—"

"Aha! You gave me a clue!" I could hear him smiling and then there was a loud thudding noise. A couple seconds later he picked up again sounding sheepish. "Sorry, I dropped the phone."

I chuckled and relaxed against my pillows. "Elijah, I'm totally fine. I'll probably be back in school by Thursday."

"Are you sure you don't need any pillows. I have lots." He sounded hopeful but I sighed.

"Maybe later. I'm just tired right now. I think I just need some sleep. I'll text you later if that's alright," I said, feeling a little guiltly. Although he didn't think I knew, I could easily tell that he liked me. I had known it since I was a junior. He was so sweet, I hated to disappoint him by telling him that we were just friends.

He had been so shy when I had first met him. And gangly too. I remembered his dark hair that was cut choppily around his face, and his pale blue eyes were so striking. But it was his smile that really made me befriend him. It was the type of smile that instantly warms your heart no matter the mood. And his jokes would always brighten your day, no matter how corny they were. I hated to think about that sweet smile fading when he confessed his feelings for me. But I knew the time would eventually come whether or not I was ready.

"Alright," He said reluctantly. "Bye Cora."

"Bye Elijah." Then he hung up and I was left with the monotone buzz on the other end. With a groan, I slid from my bed and walked to the bathroom that was connected to my room. I cringed when I saw my reflection. I was so pale to the point where you could barely see my freckles, and my orange hair looked dull. There were dark circles under my pale green-blue eyes and I had a sickly look that would probably make people grimace and go around me.