Chapter 5

I didn't go back to school until next Tuesday, and when I finally did step through the school doors, I felt weird and out of sorts. Every noise I heard made me jump and every scent that wafted through the air felt the slightest bit stronger. But it was my eyesight that really made me frown. I had worn reading glasses since I was fourteen years old because of my slight nearsightedness. The thing was that today, I didn't need my glasses because everything around me was crystal clear--it was beyond clear, it was far too sharp, everything seemed so defined and perfect. I could suddenly see the small bits of white chalk trickling down the blackboard in my math class, I could easily read the tiny handwriting on a girl's tag that was sticking up from her shirt nearly ten seats away from me, and I could see the small droplets of sweat gather around the hairline of a boy in the front of the class. Of course, I told no one about this and kept it to myself. Maybe this was a side-effect of the seizure.

"Cora?" I jumped in alarm as Kacey snapped her fingers in my face. "Are you even listening to me?"

"Sorry Kace," I mumbled, rubbing a side of my head. "What were you saying again?"

My blonde-haired friend rolled her eyes and huffed. "I said, Anita and I are getting together after school--maybe hang out at the mall or take a walk or something. You wanna go?"

"Uh, I don't know," I said hesitantly. "I'm not feeling good today. I think I'm just going to go home and rest."

Kacey looked like she was observing me closely. Finally, she nodded in agreement and said, "Yeah I think you're right. You've been acting odd throughout the entire day--very jumpy."

"I know," I sighed. "I think it's some sort of side-effect of the seizure."

"Hey, I got to go," Kacey said abruptly, looking at her phone. "Class starts in three minutes and my next class is all the way across the school." She sent me a big smile and slung her backpack over her shoulder. "You take care of yourself, Cora." Then she skipped off, her brown-streaked blonde hair floating behind her before she disappeared into the current of students.

"Are you feeling well?"

I spun around in surprise and looked up into eyes that appeared more gold since the last time I saw them. Cayden eyed me seriously, his brows knitted together and his lips pulled into a small frown. His hair was messier than before and he looked very tired.

"I'm fine," I told him. "Thank you for....preventing me from getting a skull fracture." I shifted on my feet awkwardly.

"It is nothing," He said. "Now back to the original inquiry: how are you feeling?" His voice was smooth and deep.

"I answered your question," I told him. "I told you I'm feeling fine."

"I need more details."

This guy is weird, I thought to myself. Why is he so concerned about my health? What's going on? "Why are you being so nosy?"

He looked taken aback by my sharp reply. His brows shot up and then returned back to their furrowed position. "I am simply unsettled about your well-being. Seizures are serious, and can have some side-effects."

"Well I am perfectly fine," I said in irritation. "And I don't need your help, nor do I need anyone else's help for that matter." With a sharp twist of my heel, I was striding away from him with my back straight and my head held high. But then I pursed my lips. Who was that guy? Really? For I second I almost turned and walked back to him, but I quickly shook my head. Nah, he was just a weird boy.

 Nah, he was just a weird boy