Chapter 6: Bonds

CHAPTER 6:

Finding the kids was easier than expected.

Incendio zoomed deep into the forest, his eyes closed and yet somehow he still knew where to go. We followed closely behind him, until he dove to the forest floor. "Incendio!"

"Iris!" Incendio cried, rushing toward a huddled shape in the distance. Michellie and Cyan dropped to the ground, rushing after the fairy. I remained shifted and in the air, making sure no threat remained.

I inhaled, trying to catch an unfamiliar scent, but all I could smell were woods. Whoever had taken the boys were gone, leaving no noticeable trace behind. I made a mental note to have a search party come out when we got home to check more thoroughly.

"What happened? Why are you three covered in blood?" Cyan cried. I looked over quickly, noticing that all three boys were almost drenched in blood. It's thick red stained all of them, their clothes and faces covered in it. There was, oddly enough, no smell to it. I tried to inhale deeper, but smelled nothing out of the ordinary. Whoever had lost this much blood had somehow managed to mask their scent completely.

Iris had Cyan and Kieran curled up on both sides of him, seemingly sound asleep. If it weren't for the copious amounts of blood, you might even be able to argue they had just wandered off on their own.

"It's not ours." Was all Iris replied. "I put them to sleep so they wouldn't worry."

"You what?" Cyan was overwhelmed by his own emotions.

"They were scared so I just... I took their fear away and made them sleepy." Iris explained, phrasing it so that it left out the acknowledgement that he had taken all their fear into him and was probably sitting there scared out of his mind. The kid made me uncomfortable, i admitted, but his action was extremely noble. The amount of fear coursing through his body must have been overwhelming and yet there he was, not a single tear on his face.

"Who taught you something like that?" Michellie asked, looking accusingly at Incendio as if the fairy had taught him to do that.

"No one mama. I just... i just did it. They kept crying and... and I just wanted want to help them and then I did it." Iris said, his grip tightening on the boys when Cyan moved to grab one of them. "Don't. They'll be scared again."

"It's okay Iris." Michellie insisted, her entire body still tensed in fear that someone was waiting to attack any moment.

"You did an amazing job." Incendio added. "You're all safe now. I can see that. It's okay to let them go."

"But..." Iris wanted to say something, but chose to simply loosen his grip.

Cyan snatched Ciel and Kieran faster than humanly possible. In a single second they were both nestled in his arms, being held as if Cyan's life depended on never letting them fall. Michellie began examining Iris, checking him for any scratches or cuts, strangling him in a hug when she found none. "We should go now." Incendio spoke up. "We are safest in the palace."

The rest agreed. Michellie and Cyan cradled their children as they took off into the air, relief clear on their faces. This time they had avoided a potential disaster.This time their kids were safe.

Next time, they might not be so lucky.

----------------

"What happened out there?" I repeated, watching the three little boys closely.

"You guys won't get in trouble! We just need to know what happened!" Cyan repeated, clearly growing frustrated. The children had been grilled repeatedly for the last two days. So far, they hadn't shared much about their experience.