Chapter 3 - Belong

I look one last time at my family. My mother is crying and my father gives me a look that burn right through me. I can't imagine that they'll come and visit me on visiting day. I am now all alone. Faction Before Blood, I say to myself multiple times.

The Dauntless initiates walk out first. I quickly look over my shoulder to look at the life I just left behind. The Dauntless-born starts to run and laugh. Me and the other transfers don't really know where they're going but we're trying to keep up with them. They burst through the exit.

I follow the Dauntless down the street as I hear a familiar sound, the train horn.

I step forward with a few others and start jogging. We run beside the car a few steps and then we throw ourselfs sideways and pull into the car. The people who get left behind now become factionless. I wont be one of them, I keep telling myself.

I hear screaming as I watch a boy be slunged of the train and falls down on the ground. He's probably dead now. I gasp and freeze. That could easily have been me.

I take a moment and try to calm down. The transfers around me is talking and seem happy. Maybe I don't belong with them?

The train has started to slow down in the passed few minutes. The Dauntless in the cars ahead of us are jumping out as the train passes a rooftop. The idea of jumping of the train onto a rooftop, makes me sick. There's a huge gap between the edge of the roof and the edge of track, there might be a huge chance that I wont make it.

"Are we really going to jump?" Another transfer ask. He is shaking of fear. We are Dauntless now and we're supose to be brave.

Y"Jump or be factionless" A girl behind me say. Her words get stuck in my head. If you ask me I think that being dead is probably better than being factionless.

If I don't jump now, I will be left behind. I take a deep breath and throw myself forward and out of the car. The wind is blowing in my hair as I fly through the air. Seconds later I fall down hard on the rooftop. I made it. Around me there are other transfers lying on the ground, the Dauntless-born are already ahead of us. I look over my shoulder and see the train becoming smaller as it race down towards the sunset.

The Daunless-born are screaming at us to come. They are standing on the edge of the roof. Are they going to jump? Are we going to jump? I get up from the ground and start running towards them. My heartbeat is racing fast.

"Scared of heights transfer?" Someone ask me. I look around the crowd and find him. He's wearing all black and have a huge tattoo on his forearm with a snake. His hair is white with blue strings. In Erudite we could never look like that. He takes a step closer to me and I recoil as I shake my head. There's not a good idea to get into a fight the first day.

I take another step back and walk into someone as I fall down. I turn around and see the girl from the train. She's redheaded and have mesmerizing brown eyes. She's wearing a black skirt and a white blouse. A Candor transfer. "Hi" I say awkwardly and turn around. She shakes my hand. I guess that's how they greet each other in Candor.

"I'm Ellinor" She say and smile. I try to open my mouth but her attention goes to behind me.

I turn around. A man with a black coat clears his throat. ''Welcome transfers and inborn. I am Eric'' He say loudly enough to make everyone turn their heads.

''Just because you made it this far doesn't mean that you wont be factionless, or dead when I am done with you'' He say and smirk at us.

My mom used to say 'not judge a person before you get to know them' but this guy seemed like a monster.

''Let's start! Who wanna jump first?'' He say and point down the edge of the roof.

A few Dauntless-born cheer and wave their hands to get Eric's attention. He ignores them and search around. His sight get stuck on me. He smirk.

''You. The Erudite!'' He yell and point at me. Everyone turn around and stare right at me.

He continue. ''Why don't you be our first jumper?'' He say. Judging by his tone it's not an option. He just stare at me until I finally start walking towards him and the edge.

''Well, well. This part is simple. Close your eyes and fall down. Don't think, just be brave'' He say and push me forward.

Are they all crazy here? I will die. My throat is hurting as I try to speak, maybe it's better just to shut up.

I nod slowly and close my eyes. I will just haft to fall backwards into the air and land somewhere down there in the dark space. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. I will make it. I am Dauntless.

Just for one moment I feel calm. That's when I take a step back. I am falling fast towards the ground. The wind in my hair, the adrenaline rush is amazing and teffifying at the same time. I still haven't opened my eyes, I keep them as shut as possible. I am not afraid of dying anymore. Seconds later I land on something. A soft landing.

I slowly open my eyes and see that I am lying on a net. A huge net. Around me there's darkness. The Daunless world. This is were we're going to live. I crawl out of the net and fall two meters downwards until I hit the stone ground.

I hear cheering around me. It's Dauntless people. Grown ups. They are cheering at, me? I didn't even know that Dauntless had grown ups. I hear a scream and quickly look over my shoulder. Another transfer have landed on the net. Eric must love to force kids down roofs? I smirk to myself at the silly thoughts.

Behind me a woman is coming out of the darkness. She have tattoos all over her body and her hair is a black thick braid. "Welcome to Dauntless. Congratulations for being the first jumper" She say and helps me up from the ground.

Maybe I can fit in here. I touch the necklace that my sister got me at the test day. Erudite is behind me but I still can't let go of my family. I pull of my blue cardigan and throw it at the ground. No more blue clothing. No more reading for fun. This is Dauntless. Not Erudite. I belong here.