3.

"Make sure I get your permission slips." Michelle fumbled inside her pocked and pulled out the battered slip. The teacher took it with a nod. Michelle was about to walk away when Mike appeared in front of her, looking very happy.

"You're ALIVE!" Mich send him a small smile.

"Yeah, false alarm"

"Actually, I'm glad you're not dead 'cause - well, that would suck, plus I wanted to ask you" She smiled at him until she noticed Edward standing at the bus, glaring at Mike. "- even though it's, like, a month away, do you... wanna... wanna go to prom with me?" Sam blinked.

"Prom?" Mike nodded.

"Prom. As in dance" Michelle squinted her eyes, thinking about it. She shook her head.

"I'm sorry... I've never actually been to a prom before."

"Really, well. It- its new for me too, you know"

"I can't Mike, I'm sorry. I'm leaving actually." Mike's eyes widen.

"What? Leaving. No you- you can't go, we've just met." Michelle wrung her hands.

"I'm sorry" Mike fumed for a second more before he sighed and pulled her into a hug. Michelle froze for a second, unsure what to do. She finally hugged back, closing her eyes, in fear of meeting Edward's gaze. They broke apart and Michelle smiled. "You should ask Jessica, I know for a fact she wants to go with you" Mike glanced sideways to see Jessica staring at him. She waved and he smiled. The teacher waved them over and they entered the buss.

-

"-now Tyler, take a big steaming cup of "compost tea." This is recycling at its most basic level -- hey, don't drink that!" Michelle stared in awe at all the green plants, taking in the sight and smell. She stepped past one towards another when a voice broke the silence.

"You're leaving?" She glanced at him, not making full eye contact.

"How did you know about that?"

"You didn't answer my question." Michelle walked to the next set of plants, trying to ignore the feeling of his breath on her neck.

"You didn't answer any of mine" She crossed her arms, trying to look tougher. "You won't even say hello."

"Hello." Michelle finally looked up. Luckily Edward wasn't looking at her.

"Are you going to tell me how you stopped the van?" They slowly moved with the class, not falling behind.

"I had an adrenaline rush. Very common. Google it." He finally met her eyes, and was taken aback by the coldness they held.

"You are lying, and I don't like people who lie to me" She stepped away from him, but tripped. A strong hand grabbed her, keeping her steady. His jaw clenched

"It helps if you actually watch where you put your feet." Michelle pulled away from him and walked faster. He easily kept up with her. "I know I've been rude, but it's for the best." Michelle frowned but was cut off when Jessica skipped over to her.

"Guess who just asked me to prom!" Edward clenched his fist and walked away. Jessica watched him go before she turned to Michelle. "I totally thought Mike was going to ask you, Michelle. Is it gonna be weird?" Michelle smiled.

"Of course not. You two are great together." She frowned, noticing something. "Weren't you going to walk with Bella?"

"Yeah, but she skipped to hang out with her friend. Jason or something." Angela, from the front waved and Jessica skipped back.

"Look Mich, a worm" Eric joked, holding a worm up to her face. Michelle stepped back, as if slapped. Her eyes met Edward's and she walked out of the room. Once outside she clenched and unclenched her fist, taking deep breaths.