Chapter 2

It was Saturday morning and Rubylyn was once again home alone. Her mom was out at the station, and she left her usual note letting her know she was gone. Today all Rubylyn wanted to do was to relax. She made her way to the back of her closet and pulled out her wetsuit. She pulled it over her clothes and pulled her hair into a tight braid. Satisfied with the look, she descended down the stairs into the garage to grab her surfboard. Deciding she would smooth it out at the beach, she grabbed her keys and left the house. She put her board in the back of the car and moved to the drivers side. She took off into the busy streets, and drove off to the beach. Taking a short observation, she noticed that the beach was indeed crowded, but there weren't too much people in the water. Perfect.

She parked as far as she could from other cars and as she walked with her board to her side, she let her feet sink into the warm sand. She walked as close as she could to the water without the waves touching her. She took her sanding pad and let her hands run over the entire board over and over until she was certain it was flat and smooth. She got up and took her first steps into the ocean. It felt nice and cool over the sizzling sun.

"Just go for it," she whispered to herself. She walked out as far as she could, then laid down on her board and started paddling herself farther out. Little did she know was that she was being watched by another figure in the distance...

Kai was sitting on a beach towel in the sand with shades over his eyes. Laid next to him tanning was his best mate Michael. A trait of Kai's is he likes to observe the people around him. There were people tanning, people throwing frisbees, dogs running around, kids making sand castles, birds running from the water, people surfing and swimming. He also noticed a familiar face walking into the water. The girl from the café, he thought. He watched as she swam out farther into the distance, and sat on her board waiting for a wave. He watched as she stood up and started moving smoothly with the waves, gliding gracefully through the water. He wondered how long she had been surfing and who taught her.

She mentioned that she went to the same school. How has he not noticed her? Did they have any classes together? Was she just hiding in the back corner? He was determined to find out more about this girl. But would she want to talk to me, he thought. Sure he's had plenty of girls throwing themselves at him, but he feels like this girl would be a challenge. And he wanted the chase.