12

it doesn't take long for people to hear about fleur and i. there are whispers down the hall about us. fleur has quite a reputation while i don't. but she has given me one as "fleur's boyfriend". more people talk to me, i get invited to smoke with people.

"dude, you got fleur."

i nod. i got fleur. i have her in every way i could want. she's all mine. i don't mind all this attention because it's an excuse to talk about how excited i am to have her. i want everyone to know she's mine.

"she's a hard catch..." someone says.

"she's a good catch" i say.

we sit together at lunch with a few of her friends. they don't sit in the math classroom anymore to be with me. her friends gush over our relationship. i'm not going to lie, it's weird sitting with a bunch of sophomores.

but eventually more people sit with us. i don't even know most of their names. they just join and talk amongst each other.

fleur comes over everyday. she loves to play with my stereo and listen to the classical music station. i love looking over and seeing her enjoying the music. she closes her eyes and i can't help but think of annabel and how she could play this song on the piano. it's crazy to ever think of annabel when you have fleur, i tell myself. fleur is perfect.

fleur is mine.

when we get to my house, she sits on my lap on the couch and feeds me fruit snacks and kisses. i eat up her kisses and occasionally pinch her sides.

a month in, we're sitting on the same couch when she opens her mouth.

"i love you."

it's like she blurts it out. my eyes widen slightly and i cough on the food in my mouth. she rolls off my lap and helps me stop choking.

once i've recovered she kisses my cheek.

"it's true, i do love you."

i don't respond. i just kiss her cheek and continues petting her head. i don't want to think about love. because if i think about it, i may fall into it. and if i fall into it, surely i'll get hurt in the end.