9

the house is full of people. right now is right now. there's three stories for me to look for fleur in.

people look shocked to see me. this isn't my scene. also, i just recently got suspended. people didn't really know me until i hit that asshole. a band plays in the backyard. they're covering a stupid old pop song. i'm choking on the dreams everyone in this room is having.

fleur isn't in the living room, isn't in the kitchen, isn't in the bathroom. i grab a handful of tortilla chips and eat them in distress. the stairs have people on each step. i dodge stepping on them as i walk up. there aren't as many people on the second story. some people are in the first bedroom i look. they're watching a movie on the TV.

"have you guys seen fleur?" i ask them.

"nah, vincent. have you looked outside?"

i didn't even think of that. i almost fall down the stairs trying to walk. the air outside is chilly and everyone is wearing jackets. the band is playing a Green Day cover and people are dancing around. fleur isn't anywhere to be seen.

a group of kids sit around a bong behind the lemon tree growing. i sit in the circle.

"you guys seen fleur?"

"no, someone said she took some E and is freaking out."

my heart stops.

"is she okay?" i ask.

someone hands me the bong and i take a hit. it doesn't make me any less stressed.

"no clue, dude."

i shake my head and rub my temples. what if she's purging, i think. what is someone got her in a room alone? fleur can't take care of herself. what a fucking idiot, taking ecstasy without me around.

my eyes wonder around the backyard. i don't smoke much. i squint and look up. there she is. fleur. she's dancing on the roof. does anyone else see her? she might fall. my stomach lurches.

i run upstairs. i find half a beer on a cabinet and chug it. my heart is filled with booze.

"vincent?"

i turn around.

annabel is leaving the bathroom. she has a tissue held up to her nose with blood on it. i see her beautiful eyes and nothing else.

"annabel, what happened?"

she leads me into a room.

"what happened?" i repeat.

"he hit me, vincent. he hit me again."

i wrap my arms around her.

"why are you here then?"

"i didn't know where else to go..."

she should've come to my house, like she used to. of course she wouldn't go to your house, vincent. she hates you. you called her a bitch.

annabel sobs into my chest. her nose is bleeding onto my shirt. this doesn't feel real. fleur is in the back of my mind. i need to get to fleur. but i can't leave annabel. i've never left annabel. i missed this. holding her. this may be the last time i ever hold annabel.

"i love you, annabel" i tell her.

"i know, vin."

she doesn't say it back. annabel doesn't love you, dude.

i set her down on the bed and put the blanket over her. here i am, taking care of someone who doesn't care about me. blood trickles onto the pillow. whatever. it's not mine.

"i'm sorry i called you a bitch."

"i know."

she turns on her other side and closes her eyes. i shut off the lights and walk up to the third story. there's a ladder to the roof and it's opened. i climb up and see fleur, dancing. no one else sees fleur.

she's wearing a light blue turtleneck and jeans. her hair flows with the wind.

"fleur" i say.

she turns and looks at me.

"are you high?" i ask.

"no."

she seems upset.

"you're going to fall."

"i'm down for falling."