prolouge

Kyoko•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Kyoko
•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Hope's Peak Academy.

I'll admit, after I made a wish to become a magical girl and completely destroyed my life, this was definitely not what I was expecting. But hey, you take what life gives ya, right?

I stood outside of the school's heavy iron gates, studying the outside of the building. It was pretty big, and judging from the extensive sides it was probably fairly easy to get lost inside. In all honesty, it was a bit... intimidating.

I sighed loudly. "Man, how're we supposed to find our way around in this mess?" I grumbled to myself, kicking a stone towards the gates. It bounced a couple of times, then slid under the bars and skidded to a halt on the other side.

"You are very lucky that did not hit the bars."

I turned around, narrowing my eyes at the person who had spoken behind me. It was a girl with long, straight black hair and piercing purple eyes. She was wearing the typical Highschool uniform of Mitakihara, a neighboring town from the one I lived in. Something about her seemed oddly familiar, though I could swear I had never seen her before.

"Who the hell are you?" I asked, swinging my backpack over my shoulder. "Some kinda security guard?"

"I am one of the sixteen students attending Hope's Peak Academy this semester," the girl answered coldly. "And I would prefer not to start out the year with a suspended classmate."

I scoffed at her in disbelief. Did she have any idea who she was talking to?

"You're angry," the girl observed. "Please, don't start a fight. If you truly think you can beat me that easily, then you are mistaken." She held up her right hand, displaying a flashy ring on her middle finger. "We are the same, and I highly doubt the school wants us to tear up their front gate in a magical duel."

I narrowed my eyes at her. "What's your name? Do I know you from somewhere?"

The girl stiffened slightly. It was just barely noticeable, but then, I have pretty keen eyes. "I do not believe I have ever met you," she replied. "My name is Homura Akemi. I am the Ultimate Witch."

My eyes widened in surprise. "Ultimate Witch?!" I yelped. "Wait, hold on! How can you be a witch? You're a magical girl, aren't ya?!"

Homura shrugged. "My magical ability is to be able to create and trap others in wards, just as a witch does. Perhaps that is why I was entitled that."

"Freaky," I muttered. "You better not do that to me."

Homura's face stayed blank despite the halfhearted joke I made. "I wasn't planning on it."

"I was just joking! Sheesh, I wasn't being serious."

"I was."

"You're weird..."

A loud bell sounded from the school, announcing the starting of the school day. My eyes went wide in shock. I was already late on my first day of school!

Way to make an impression, I hissed to myself. I darted over to the gates, leaping over them rather than opening them like I probably should have. I landed hard on the other side of the gates, the impact sending bolts of pain up my legs. I began to sway back and forth-- at first I thought it was from the clumsy landing, but now...

Now I know better.

My head began to pound, my knees began to shake. After a few moments I collapsed to the ground, unable to stop my mind from slipping into the cold grasp of unconsciousness.

My new life as a prisoner of despair had begun.