Part 4

"Hailey, you have glass in your skin... Deep in your skin".

 He ran to the bathroom, took some kind of spray with which he disinfected my wounds and took the thingy I plucked my eyebrows with so he could take the glass out. As he was doing that, I kept screaming out of pain as it didn't stop burning like hell.

"Somebody pushed me, Daniel. And left me this note", I murmured in a shaky voice. As he read the note, his eyes widened with fear and not until then did I feel like I was helpless. If the paper said so, it was going to be so. But when was it coming? And what was I to do to stop it?

***

"So you're saying somebody was knocking on your window, yet you live on the fifth floor and you have no terrace?" I nodded, my hands crossed over my chest. "Are you sure it wasn't just a branch or something?"

"I am pretty sure, officer, as you can see there is no tree as high as my widow anywhere near here. And I am positive that the branch couldn't have broken it and left this note". I gave him the paper and he nodded, his eyebrows furrowed.

"And you're saying somebody was knocking on your door, but nobody was there once you opened them? That is nothing uncommon, miss, kids these days-"

"It wasn't the children. I just know that".

"But-"

"Are you going to help me or not?!", I suddenly exclaimed and he looked at me, shocked.

"Well, miss, if I don't have a proof or a suspect there's really nothing I can do".

"Excuse me?! A note that says that I'm going to die isn't enough of a proof?!"

"You could have put it there yourself, miss. You could have broken your own window. How am I to know without real proof that it was somebody from the outside?"

"Here, I'll write the note myself to prove that the handwritings don't match". As I started writing the note, I noticed that my  Y and the Y from the letter had the same peculiar twist at the end and as the officer noticed that, he started laughing. "Really, miss? Setting this all up just to get the cops here?" He laughed again and his fellow officers joined in.

"She didn't do it herself!", Daniel screamed. "How could you think such a stupid thing?! Who would ever break their own window and put a death note on the floor just to get some cops to come over?!"

"People are strange, sir, people are strange", he said and the three policemen exited the door, all laughing. I think I heard them singing some looney song as they were walking down the stairs.

"But wait! Aren't you going to help us?!", Daniel screamed, but they pretended not to hear him, still singing to themselves. I could see the veins on his neck pulsing. Mine were, too.

"So what do we do now?", I asked, my voice a bit shaky from frustration.

"Was the window broken my a stone or something that had the paper attached to it?", Daniel asked me and I shook my head.

"I don't think s-", I didn't even get to finish my sentence when I heard something that chilled me to the bone.

 It was a laugh. Not a typical one, not a jolly one, but a sinister, old man's kranky laugh that sounded like one out of a horror movie. The laugh continued, and then it suddenly stopped. I felt something cold grip me and a whip of air hit my face. At that moment I could feel somebody's hot, disgusting breath that whispered:

"I'm going to have so much fun with you" Then the laugh started again. I couldn't move a muscle, I was paralysed. Then, I heard a slash that sounded a lot like a knife.

Daniel dropped to the floor, screaming in pain. I immediately turned to look at him, but when I did, I wished I hadn't.

One of his eyeballs was ripped out. And guess where it ended up?

In my lap.