Part 3

There were those loud, bone chilling knocks that seemed to be coming from some kind of bodybuilder, knocks that sounded as if they were about to break my door.

Tears started running down my face as I started to feel huge fear creep up on me, rising up my spine. Again, I started taking in deep breaths and slowly returned to my book, but I didn't have the strength to pick it up

. My arms seemed to be wobblier than when I tried to lift that fifty kilogram weight in the gym and so I remained curled up in a fetus position, covering myself up with a blanket.

Then I heard a knock on the window glass. I live on the sixth floor.

I forced myself to look in that direction, but there I saw nothing, again. A few seconds later, someone (or should I say something) started banging on the window like crazy and in a split of a moment, the glass broke and little pieces spread across the room, one aiming at me. It hit me right below the eye and I started screaming as the cold weather started to creep up in my room. I looked up, trying to see whether someone was at the window and again, there was nothing.

Now I was really scared. Scared to death, almost.

Someone banged on my door again and I started screaming like crazy, calling out for help. I could hear the door creek open, I could hear some light footsteps and I just kept screaming, not knowing what to expect.

The room was getting cooler and cooler each second. Someone was about to walk into the room and I was just shivering all over, preparing to throw a vase at whoever (or whatever) was trying to approach me. I just couldn't handle the stress... Who knew what I would see...

"Hailey?", a deep voice said and in the same second I dropped the vase down, running up at him.

"Daniel!", I screamed and ran towards him, then threw myself into his arms, crying like a little baby. He started noticing the glass all over the room and hugged me even tighter, for which I was more thankful than ever.

 He picked me up, placed me on the couch and looked into my teary, bloodshot eyes.

"Hailey, what in the world happened here?"

"You... You weren't the one knocking this whole time, I hope?", I managed to say between sobs.

"I have just arrived. Brought you flowers, thought I could see how you're coping". I noticed the beautiful red roses in his hands and started to tear up again.

"I... I don't know what just happened, somebody was knocking at the door but nobody was there when I opened them and then suddenly somebody started knocking at my window and I go-"

He gently pressed his finger on my lips and I immediately stopped talking, realizing that he probably didn't understand a word I said, so I needed to calm down. Take a deep breath...

Calm the heck down. But that was kind of impossible for me now, I was feeling as if I were going to start crying again each second, so eventually I gave in and started sobbing again.

"Shhh, Hailey...", he murmured, slowly running his fingers through my hair. He knew that it always calmed me, no matter how tense the situation is. "You've got to relax... Everything's alright, I'm here now, it's going to be okay. I will help you, but first I need to know what happened. Can you do me a favor and just breathe in deeply?" His low, soothing voice was so beautiful. I started wondering how could I have ever let him go, how could I be so stupid.

"It... Well... First of all, I was s-s-sitting here and then I heard a knock on the door". He nodded, wanting me to continue.

"When I got up to answer it, hoping that it was the postman, I opened the door to an empty hallway".

So, step by step, I managed to tell him the whole story and as it came out of my mouth, I felt the pressure ease in my chest. It really does feel better once you tell it to a living soul (and a one you can trust, of course).

"Okay... Now we shouldn't touch anything, we first need to call the police", he said and grabbed the phone from his pocket. I took my blanket and covered myself with it, as it was beginning to feel as if we were outside, which we now practically were. I grabbed my book and pressed it onto my chest as I always felt better once I'd hug something or someone.

"Yeah, hello, somebody broke the window of the apartment and kept banging on the door, ringing the bell and disturbing the young lady that lives here".

 He kept talking, but I just lost myself, staring out of the window. My gaze was suddenly forced to the floor and there I saw a piece of paper, which immediately caught my attention. I stood up, my legs shaky and my sight a bit blurry, and picked the paper off the floor. It read:

"YOU'RE GOING TO DIE" with red ink that reminded me of coagulated blood

I screamed, dropped the paper down and fell to the floor as I felt something push me. I landed right on top of all the broken glass pieces and felt some of them dig into my skin. Daniel screamed my name and picked me up off the floor.

"What happened?", he asked me while the policeman was saying: "Sir? Sir?", still on the line.

Daniel picked the phone up and yelled the address, begging the policeman to come quickly and then hung up.