Chapter 2

River was walking so fast that Alice had to jog to keep up. They past through what seemed like a market place. Alice looked around; banks, stores, storage. There was a shop for everything. She had little time to look though. River led her to a cliff at the west of the market place. He was standing quite close to the edge and Alice wondered if she should pull him back. However, he bent down and open what looked like a large, grassy disc. Underneath it was a ladder.

River climbed down the ladder. When he reached the bottom, he shouted, "Come, Alice! The ladder's safe, you know." Hesitantly, Alice climbed down the ladder and made it safely to the bottom.

River grinned as she made it. "This is where I live." Alice looked around. It looked like a large, cave of rock. However, it wasn't dark and gloomy. In fact, it was very bright because there was a large opening which gave a view of the sea. 

"It looks like the inside of a shark." said Alice, pointing at the sharp, triangular bits of stone surrounding the opening. "They look like teeth."

He chuckled. "They do, don't they? That's why this is called Sharpedo's Bluff." Alice pressumed a Sharpedo must've been a Pokemon version of a shark.

Alice noticed something. "Where are your parents?" she asked him. River looked surprised but his expression returned to normal as he realised that Alice was from Earth. "Well, what we're living on is Jiruma Island. We're pretty deserted from other islands but the closest region I know is Sinnoh. My parents sent me here at 10 years old to become a Pokemon trainer. It's a relatively new island, I hear it was only discovered about 50 years ago." River looked out into the sea. The sun was setting.

"I love history and adventure." he said dreamily. Alice smiled at how free and innocent he looked. "I want to learn all about the history of this new island, what secrets it holds, what Pokemon there are yet to discover. Doesn't it fascinate you?" River asked, tilting his head as he did so.

Alice walked up to him, also admiring the sea. "I was the best in History at my school." River looked impressed. The sky began to turn dark.

"Bed time, I think. I pressume you're pretty tired." said River. Alice nodded and suddenly noticed that her eyes were droopy with sleepiness. "I have two rooms. Go through the right door and you'll find a bed. Thank goodness I have an extra bedroom. I'll be in the room next to you if you need me."

Alice nodded sleepily and walked into the room. The bed was very simple. There was a mattress, a sheet, a thin blanket and one pillow. The whole bed was white. It didn't matter, because Alice flopped herself onto the bed and fell into a deep sleep.