Chapter Nine

McKenzie’s POV

Hannah and I pulled up to the stable parking lot fifteen minutes later. She hadn’t stopped texting Niall the entire time.

“Alright, well Niall wants me to meet him by the ticket booth so I’ll catch up with you later tonight,” she gushed.

“Okay sounds good, hope you have an amazing night at the carnival!” I hugged her tightly.

“I could spend a night in jail with Niall and it would be amazing.” We both laughed and Hannah started to make her way towards the fair grounds.

I checked my reflection in the car window and fixed my dress. I wanted to make sure I looked decent before entering the barn, even though Louis probably wasn’t even here yet. I decided I wasn’t gonna look any better so I made my way into the barn. It was dimly lit because only the sconces on the wall were lighting up the barn and not the harsh overhead lights. As I strolled through the barn my heels clicked loudly on the brick aisle-way. I looked down at my phone as I approached Citrine’s stall. Still no texts from Lou since we were in the parking lot. The clock read 10:17 and I wondered when Louis would arrive.

I walked into the tack room next to Citrine’s stall and grabbed two flakes of hay for Dream and two for Citrine. I fed Dream and when I went to open Citrine’s stall, the latch was already undone. I looked up from the door and jumped back in shock.

“Louis! What are you doing in there!?” I dropped the hay on the ground and placed my hand over my heart. Louis was casually leaning on the stall wall feeding Citrine a carrot.

He came rushing out of the stall and wrapped his hand around my waist. “Sorry babe! I didn’t mean to startle you.” He said sincerely.

“Oh no, its fine, its just, I didn’t expect you to be here already. And I especially didn’t expect you to be in my horse’s stall…” I trailed off.

“Well, he was just so cute, and I found a bag of carrots in your equipment room and I wanted to feed him,” he looked at me all innocently.

“Oh so you not only like girls who eat carrots, but now you like horses who eat carrots too?” I asked jokingly.

“Yes. And I do really like you so I hope you like to eat carrots as well.” He lifted a carrot to my mouth and I took a bite out of it.

“Of course I like carrots,” I smiled and we both laughed.

He knelt down to pick up the hay I had dropped and paused for a moment and looked up at me. “You know, there’s something I really want to tell you right now…”

“What is it?” I asked with full attention.

“I can totally see up your dress from this angle and I wanted you to know that I think you look hot in cheetah print underwear.”

“Lou!” I gasped and laughed while I playfully hit him upside the head as he stood up. “You’re lucky I know you’re a funny guy or I might have hit you for real!” I joked and draped my arms on his shoulders around the back of his neck.

He leaned in temptingly close to the side of my face and whispered, “But I think you’d look better with none,” as he grazed his lips across my cheek.

“Try again Boobear. You’re not getting’ in these cheetah print panties anytime tonight.”

“Even after I serenaded you?”

“Well, I guess that does deserve a little something…” I leaned in slowly and kissed him lightly on the lips. He responded by moving his hands from my waist down to my butt and instantly making the kiss more passionate.

We made out for a few minutes before it started getting extremely heated and I pulled back. He looked me in the eyes. He looked confused and was begging for more.

“Calm down Tomlinson, there’s more where that came from. But first I wanna bring you somewhere,”

“Should I call my driver?” he asked.

“No, its really close. But first let me take off these damned heels.” I laughed as I pulled them off and through them into the tack room. I was instantly three or four inches shorter. Even when I was wearing them, Lou was still much taller and he had to bend down slightly when we kissed.

“Ok, follow me!” I grabbed his hand and started running towards the end of the barn.

When we reached the back of the barn, I led Louis into a small side aisle-way with a ladder at the end of it. “Alright, let’s go.” I said as I started to climb up it, into the darkness.

“I don’t know if I should trust you….” Louis said cautiously.

“Oh come on, don’t be a scaredy-cat!” I teased, already a third of the way up the ladder.

“Actually, its not a bad view from down here, I guess I can follow you up.” he agreed. “You and your cheetah panties,” he whispered under his breath.

“I heard that.” I yelled down to him.

“I haven’t the slightest clue what you’re talking about,” he replied sarcastically.

Once I got to the top of the ladder I climbed off onto the floor surrounding it and gave Louis my hand and helped him up as well. It was pitch black and the hay that was messily sprawled all across the floor poked into my bare feet.

“Are we in the hay loft?” Louis asked surprised.

“Sure are. Bet the big popstar isn’t used to gettin’ a little dirty, huh?” I was still holding his hand, leading him through the darkness.

“No, no. Of course I can get dirty! Its just I don’t know why we’re up here its all dark and—” he stopped mid-sentence. “Ohhhhhhh.. I get it now….” he said seductively.

“Louis! No! We’re not having sex.” I laughed at the way a boy’s mind was always thinking of one thing.

“Oh. Well then what are we doing up here?”

“Hold on.” I stopped walking and ran my hand across the wall looking for the latch until I found it. I unhinged it and started pushing a sliding door open. As the door opened wider and wider, it revealed more and more of the beautiful sight of the carnival happening down below. The ferris-wheel flashed brightly as it spun around and you could hear the faint screams of little girls on the amusement rides. Beyond the carnival was a city that ran along the river. It was a beautiful night and the moon glowed proudly in front of us.

Louis stood in silence, his mouth opened wide. “Wow, this is just, wow. I’m speechless.” He looked at me and held my hands once again. “I really couldn’t ask for a more perfect night. And I really couldn’t ask to spend it with a more perfect girl.” He kissed me lightly on the lips, only once, and stopped to look at me again.

“Can we just sit and talk? I want to know more about you,” he said, mesmorized.

“I’d love to,” I smiled and we sat down next to each other on the ground and leaned against a haybale.