Chapter 6 - Welcome to Florida Prep

EMILY

I sit on the couch with Jack and Sam, Xbox controller in hand. Sam had just won yet another round. He opens his mouth to cheer. "Beep Beep Beep."

The piercing sound of my alarm clock tore me away from my wonderful dream. I roll over in my bed and turn it off. I hate mornings. I climb out of bed and walk into my closet, putting on one of the uniforms hanging in my closet.

I adjusted the uniform as Alice had instructed me to the other day. I rolled my sleeves like Alice had showed me, and buttoned up the fitted blazer. It didn't look half bad.

The black skirt came to above the knee, the collar of the white shirt fit nicely, and the blazer fit in a way that was actually a bit flattering. I slip on a pair of black shoes and grab the standard black backpack with the school logo on it. I walk into the kitchen only to see Liam stuffing his face with pancakes. Melissa looks up from her phone. "Oh no! I'm so sorry! I totally forgot you needed to eat too!! I only made enough for Walter, Liam and I!" Melissa says to me. I roll my eyes. Yeah right.

"It's fine. I'll just have a muffin," I say.

"Ready to go Minnesota?" He says to me.

"Huh?" I reply confused, grabbing a muffin off the kitchen counter.

"For the first day of school? God, you're so stupid."

"Oh um... Yeah?"

"Do you want a ride or not? Your dad said that you needed a ride."

Oh. So that's what this is about. "Sure." I reply.

We get into Liam's car and he drives off. After an uncomfortable ten minutes we arrive at a huge campus. A sign in the grass reads 'Welcome to Florida State Preparatory School'.

There're students everywhere, milling around some of the many huge buildings where I guessed some of the classrooms were. Liam parks the car and I climb out. He walks off without a word.

I glance around, looking for a fountain. I spot it on the other side of one of the massive courtyard. As I walk, I admire the buildings.

The buildings are big stone structures. They look a bit like little castles. When I reach the fountain, Alice calls out. "Emily! Over here!" She waves me over.

She takes me around most of the campus, pointing out the football and soccer fields, the auditorium, the science and math building, the language building, the arts building, the cafeteria, the campus was endless. She even points out a few (and by a few I mean four) residence buildings, where some of the students lived. "People from all over move across the world to come to this school!" She had said.

Half an hour later the first bell rang. "Where's your first class?" Alice asks me.

"I have English. Room L215." I tell her.

"Ooh same! Let's go!"

We walk together to our first class in the language building. We take the grand staircase up to the second floor and locate room 215. We walk into the classroom.

The class goes by faster than I thought it would. The teacher, Mr. Garner, hands us our books and notebooks. The thing about this school is that you don't need to buy notebooks. They give them to you. And the textbooks? They're yours to keep. It's actually kind of crazy. At the end of class, he hands us combination locks.

"These are for your lockers. Don't lose them because you will not be given another. Come back tomorrow with your locker number and combination so I can record them. Class dismissed." We all stand to leave.