Chapter 5 - Missed Opportunities

SAM

"Sammy come play!!!" A Jenny calls from the hallway.

Em laughs.

"You'd better go Sammy," She says to me.

"Yeah whatever Emmy," I rolls my eyes.

"I'll call you guys tomorrow. Maybe after lunch?" Emily says through the computer.

"Sure, sounds good to me. We'll see you then?"

"Looking forward to it!" She replies.

We say our goodbyes and Jack closes the computer. I sigh and stand up.

Jack follows suit and we head downstairs to play with our sister. During the game of barbies, I zone out.

I can't believe she left without telling us. There goes my plan... I sigh. If only I'd had the guts--

"Dude, you okay?" Jack asks me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Uh... yeah," I reply, still half lost in thought.

"Hey Jenny, we gotta go but we'll play later okay?" Jack says to her, patting her on the head. Jack stands and pulls me up with him.

He drags me into my room. "What's up?" He asks me.

"Nothing."

"Sam."

"What?"

"You're lying"

"No I'm not!"

"SAM!"

"Fine," I pause, knowing this will annoy him.

"DUDE spit it out," Jack practically yells.

"Agh I... Look. I kind of like Emily."

"Uh yeah I like her too, she's our best friend. Or did you forget already?" Jack replies.

"No you idiot, like, I like Emily."

"I KNEW IT!!" Jack cheers.

"Shit Jack, you don't have to scream it out to the whole world! Plus, there's nothing I can do about it, she moved away remember?"

"Only for a year."

"I'VE ALREADY WAITED A YEAR!" I say exasperated.

"Wait what?" Jack says surprised.

"Ah... yeah... I uh... I've liked her for at least a year. Maybe more? But she was still getting over Colin, and then I just didn't have to balls to do it." I hang my head.

Colin had been Emily's first boyfriend. They had dated for a few months and then Colin had moved to Washington. They had planned to continue their relationship long distance,but as soon as he left he cheated on her. She didn't find out for another month. The whole thing had torn her apart and she had a lot of trouble trusting people now. Especially long distance. I couldn't just tell her I liked her when she's all the way across the country.

"I don't really know how to help you there buddy," Jack pats me on the back, "but look at it this way. In a year Emily will come back. She'll have missed us so much she'll jump off the plane into your arms and you can ask her to be your girlfriend then."

"That is the stupidest thing that has ever come out of your mouth," I say to him.

Jack just scoffs. "What else am I supposed to say? This is like trying to get your brother and sister to start dating! It's REALLY gross."

"But you won't tell her?" I ask him.

"No promises." He winks at me.

I push him off my bed and get up to leave the room. "You're an asshole of a brother," I say as I leave him sprawled on the floor.

As I walk away I hear him call out, "And you're and asshole of a person!"

I laugh to myself. What would I do without my twin brother? 

-------------------

Hope you liked it and remember to vote if you enjoyed, and leave a comment if you have any input, I'm all ears!

Catch you next time,
TheGirlWithAnIdea