Chapter 2 (Thomas's p.o.v)

I wake up to the lingering smell of my mom's homemade pancakes. I hop out of bed and look at my lonely room. Nothing but furniture and boxes. I comb out my hair a bit and then head downstairs. "Hey mom!" I chant as I enter the kitchen.
"Good morning Thomas. How was the first night in your new room."
I kiss her head. "Weird."
She only laughs. "Son could you help set the table for breakfast?"
"Of course!" I walk over to the cabinet and get out three plates. I set one for me, my mom, and my sister Ava. "Thomas honey."
"Yes mom?"
"While I set out these forks will you go grab your sister and tell her it's time to eat? She's been in her music room playing her violin all morning."   I nod and go upstairs to get her. I lean against the doorway and listen to her practice for the first day of band class. It takes her a couple minutes to notice I'm standing right there. She puts down her violin and closes her music book. "Yes?" I pointed downstairs. "Time for pancakes." I tell her.
She smiles. "Mom's homemade?"
"You know it!" I laugh.
"Yes! I'm coming!" She laughs as she passes me and flies down the stairs.
     By the time I got downstairs, my mom and Ava were already seated. "Yummy!" I beam. I sit down and stack three pancakes on my plate. I drizzle the pancakes with syrup, then get up to get some orange juice. I pour myself a nice tall glass, and then return back to the table.
"So Ava," My mom begins, "Are you excited for your first day of band class?" I stuff a huge portion of the chewy goodness into my mouth.
"Yes." My sister replies back. I take a swig of orange juice.
"Thomas?"
"Yeah?" I say with a mouthful of pancakes. My mother glares at me until I finish chewing. "Sorry." I mutter. "Anyways." She continues. "Since you're not going to the advanced private school like your sister," She rolls her eyes and scoffs. "Be sure to seem as classy as possible. Show them what Thomas can do!"
I roll my eyes. All because I'm going to public school and not a private one.
"I mean," My mother continues again. "I don't know why you chose a nasty public school and not the private one that'll get you better in life."
I groan and put down my fork. "Mom, we've had this conversation every morning since I've decided that the private school just wasn't for me. Please give it a rest it was my decision. And what if I don't wanna be classy?"
      "First off," My mother scowls. "It was a horrible decision that you will later regret. And second of all, you were raised in a classy family so by God you will act like one." Anger boils inside me and my appetite for these pancakes dissipate.
"I'm full." I spat, as I get up and put my plate in the sink. After rinsing out my plate I head upstairs to get ready for school. I slip on a casual black T-shirt and beige pants. Then I put on my vans and rush to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Afterwards I run back into my room; grab my school books and phone; put on my backpack; then go back downstairs. I grab the lunch my mother had packed for me last night out of the fridge. I kiss both my mom and Ava on the top of their heads. "Bye you guys!" I shout as I head towards the front door.
      I walk over to my motorcycle and put on my helmet. To this day I'm still surprised my mother let me get one. Even though I had to save up a fortune to purchase it. I pull out of the driveway and start speeding down the street. After ten minutes of riding I pull up into my new school.
"Ocean Bay High. Home of the Cougars." I mumble. I park my motorcycle and start walking towards the office that the map leads me to.  Above the door it read, "Main Office." This must be it. I walk in and give the lady at the desk my name and grade.
"Oh yes Thomas Brodie Sangster! The new kid!" She pipes. "Here's your schedule." She has a huge smile plastered on her face. It's almost nerve wrecking. I take the schedule from her.
"Thank you." I say. I turn around and walk back outside. I head over to the quad area where everyone is hanging out before class. "My first class is in room H-3." I mumble to myself. So I go over and wait by the H wing.
     Heads up!" I hear someone shout behind me. I didn't have time to get out of the way before the person ran over my foot with their skateboard. It was a girl.
She jumps off her skateboard and catches it with one hand. She props it under her armpit and walks towards me.
"Sorry!" She laughs. "It was an accident." My foot is instantly hit with a searing pain.
"It's not funny." I wince as I rub my toes.
"No wonder you don't have a girlfriend. You have no sense of humor." She rolls her eyes and flips her black and red hair off her shoulders. A few snickers escape around the quad and soon everyone is clapping and cheering.
"Lyric! Lyric!" They all chant. She takes a quick bow before heading towards the G wing. Rage boils inside me.
"I just moved here!" I screamed at her. "So no, I don't have a girlfriend!"
"Whatever my bad!" She shouts back without even turning around. A boy who was next to me the whole time comes up and slaps my back.
"That's Lyric Danver. The most popular and sexiest girl at school." Well he was right about one thing. She is sexy. With her long tan legs and hourglass figure. She's a charm. But popular  was hard to believe considering she's a bitch. Girls like that will always piss me off.
      "My name's Jared." The boy next to me says.
"I'm Thomas." I smile.
"You from Scotland or something?" He raises an eyebrow.
"Close. I'm from England. Just moved here actually." "Figures how I've never seen you around." He laughs. "So," I change the subject. "What's up with Lyric?" I couldn't help but be interested.
"Well she lives a very secretive life." Jared explains. "All everyone knows is that she moved here from Vermont a year ago. The only one who knows the rest is her best friend Makayla."
"How is she so popular after only a year?" I think out loud.
"I don't know. I guess she just flashed her charisma around and everyone fell in love." Jared answers. "Hannah the captain of the cheerleading squad used to be the most popular. Until Lyric took her place. Now they're worst enemies and often get into fights from time to time."
"Jeez." I mutter.
"Lyric always wins." Jared chuckles and shakes his head. Then the bell rings.
"Well Thomas see ya around!" Jared waves and starts walking the other direction. I head over to H-3 which is chemistry and my heart nearly stops. The teacher spots me and points to an empty chair right next to Lyric Danver. Well, this is gonna be interesting.