The Last Time

I knew this was the last feather. I knew we could never call on him again. I knew that we used both of the feathers in one day. But I also knew that Mary would probably die at my hands if I didn't get help. (Was the cut poison? I didn't know.) And I could never live with myself if that happened.

The pegasus came from the shadow of a tree.

That was a short break of mine.

"Just help her!" I screamed in frustration. I seized her wrist and felt for a pulse. It was weak, but at least it was there.

Now, now, calm down. No need to get all worked up.

He walked calmly over to Mary and stomped his hoof into the ground. He was so close to Mary's face, I gasped and automatically reached for my locket.

I watched in awe as Mary's wounds closed. The scrape on her knee shrunk into nothingness. The bloody cut on her wrist faded and returned to its normal state. Color flushed into her face.

She gasped and opened her eyes, her chest rising and falling rapidly. As she blinked repeatedly, he breathing slowed. "Wh-where am I?"

Relief overtook me for a second. "Mary, how much do you remember?" I prompted.

She seemed to be racking her brain for a moment, then looked at me. "We were fighting one of the monsters, and I tried to attack from the back." The words seemed to come increasingly easier to her. "I was an idiot. We almost lost. I made a noise before I attacked, so he turned, kicked me, then... Just darkness."

"Almost all of it was right," I said. "One-- you weren't an idiot. You were amazing. Two-- we didn't almost lose. I almost lost you. Similar, but it doesn't matter. Everything's fine now."

Yes, but you must continue your journey. Only a few hours left until sunset.

"But--" I started to protest.

Mary read my face again. "I'm fine," she says confidently. To prove her point, she jumped to her feet, raced to the horses, and climbed into her saddle before I could stop her. Will was jumping around her dangling feet, barking excitedly.

Mary looked sadly down at the dog, then pleaded with me with her eyes. I sighed dramatically. "Fine, I guess he can stay," I grumbled.

As I swung into Luke's back, the pegasus disappeared into shadows. I watched as Mary took the lead, no longer seeming ready to joke. Her injuries may have shaken her up after all. 

"You're sure you can ride? You're leg was just..." Thinking about the harsh wound made me shiver. I couldn't keep talking about it.

Despite her solemn expression a moment ago, she laughed. "I'm fine," she assured me. "You worry way too much. Now ride."

Before I could answer, she began cantering. I sighed once again and followed her.

***

An hour or so later, Mary suddenly stopped. I would have run into her, had Luke not had the sense to stop. I patted his neck gratefully, thinking about how Susan would have reacted to being run into. Probably not happily.

"Look," Mary said, in a voice barely above a whisper.

I didn't need more explanation. I could see faint outlines of horses of all different colors, their elegant wings nearly folded at their sides. They seemed to be lined up in an order of tallest to shortest. The smallest of the group were ponies, who's head ended around around Luke's shoulders. The latest were several feet taller than Luke. It seemed impossible, and I wouldn't have believed it, had I not been there.

The tallest, however, wasn't in the line. He was a pure white stallion, with his wings spread for attention. He stomped his hooves on the ground, to be sure that everyone was looking at him. He faced the line-up, with his back to Mary and me.

This pegasus didn't seem to talk into minds, like the nameless one guiding Mary's and my quest. His voice came from above, ringing out clear and sharp.

"Attention!" the clouds seemed to yell. "I know you are all nervous," he said, his tone softening a bit. "It had been a long time since this has happened. However, I foresaw this, and I did warn you all."

I became nervous myself, wondering what had happened.

"Despite your feelings, we must welcome our visitors."

For a moment, my jaw was dropped. I was sure that he meant Mary and me, but he backed up, and two people appeared before him.

There was a teenaged girl, about sixteen. She was taller than I, with long, ginger hair running over her shoulders like water in a waterfall. Her silky hair shimmered with the slightest  movement, and I watched it, memorized. She wore a dark green jacket and jeans. Around the back of her neck, I could see the silver chain of a necklace. I couldn't see her face, but my mind was racing with ideas for what she might look like. I saw her with hazel, almond-shaped eyes, and a gentle, shy smile. I imagined her small nose, all of these features coming together to make a beautiful, warm person.

Beside her stood an younger boy, maybe fourteen. He had short hair, the same color as the girl. I conjured up an image close to how I imagined the girl next to him. I spotted a leather cord over the back of his neck like thee ginger girl. He stood with his hands in his jean pockets, looking relaxed.

I decided that they must be siblings. They stood differently, the boy relaxed, but the girl looking modest, like she was uncomfortable with all of the attention. However, few families dressed like them anywhere near here. Only one family had red hair, too.

I had walked in front of Mary, trying to get a closer look at the siblings. "Amelia, don't--" she hissed. It was too late. I stepped on a twig, and, in the silence, all eyes turned on me.