Chapter Thirteen | Gumboots The Magic Word

No matter how serious life gets, you still gotta have that one person you can be completely stupid with. - Unknown

The minute I walked into the diner on the corner of the main street, the tinkling of the bell and the hush hustle of the customers filled my ears. This place was the cutest, Spencer and I had come in the day we'd arrived for lunch and the food hadn't disappointed. The waitress who had served us had even been interested in hiring someone as well, so I took a deep breath and walked towards the counter, waiting for someone to appear on the other side of it. 

I didn't have to wait long. The same waitress who had served us a week ago appeared from a door that must have led to the kitchen, and once she spotted me, she started to walk over with a smile on her face.

"Hi, how can I help you?" She asked once she was standing in front of me on the other side of the counter. Her black work polo had the diners logo above her right breast, and her black shorts were obviously part of the uniform. Her dark clothes contrasted with her light blonde hair, the locks piled into a high ponytail, and it wasn't until I meet her friendly stare when I jolted with realisation. "Wait, I know you."

I nodded stupidly, my heart suddenly quickening at her eyes. They were the exact same colour as Marley's, a perfect match. Storm cloud grey with a hint of the blue sky underneath. 

And their smile was similiar. Marley's hair was darker, but their was no doubt in my mind the two were related. 

"Uh, yeah, my sister and I came in here about a week ago." I said, finally finding my voice. 

"Spencer, wasn't it? And you're Indy." She grinned again, but this time their was more behind cheekiness in her expression than before. "Flynn's going to be so excited to see you."

"Wait, Flynn? Flynn Morgan?" I said, frowning in confusion. "You know him?" 

"Yeah," The waitress blushed. "I'm the girlfriend." 

Ah. Spencer had mentioned that to me the night she'd gone to see him, but I hadn't been paying enough attention for it to stick. Spencer and Flynn had dated back in San Diego, and we'd known him for years, since Spencer and him went through high school together. 

"I have a quick question." I said, surprising myself because yet again my mouth was talking before I was processing the words. "Are you Marley Micheals sister by any chance?" 

At this, her smile fell away from her face and her expression became guarded. It took me by complete surprise, because she seemed to be the opposite of Marley, her face more an open book than a locked tight diary. 

"Yes, why?" 

"Oh, I'm his...friend." I tried the word out on my tongue. "You two just look the same, that's all. Harlow, isn't it?" I'd heard him say the name enough I already knew the answer to this one.

Harlow still looked a little wary, but she nodded after a few seconds of deliberation. "Yeah, I'm his sister. Did you say you were his friend?" 

"Well, I've been trying to be." I shrugged, laughing a little. "He makes it kind of hard." 

Harlow shook her head, but this time she was smiling a little again. I could see why Flynn was dating her, she was gorgeous, all messy blonde hair, clear skin not quite tanned, those eyes. "Tell me about it." She looked up at me again, her smile back on her face. "Now, how can I help?" 

"Well, I'm looking for a job, and I remember coming in here last time and you saying you were short staffed, so I-"

"Harls, I know it's quiet at the moment, but did you tell Reggie to make table 24's order?" A woman who looked as kind as anything popped around the counter, cutting me off. When she saw me, her mouth turned up into a grin. "Sorry, who's this?"